Modern Day Scophony Replica

Centralised area for notes about construction projects. Each project has its own sub-forum. In the sub-forums will be topics relevant to parts of that project (e.g., there might be a topic on motor control). If you start a construction diary, just post in the forum with your project name as the topic, and a moderator will create a sub-forum for your project.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Modern Day Scophony Replica

Postby Robonz » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:57 pm

Hi guys

Since Harry introduced me, I always wanted to build a Scophony mechanical TV. I now have a new mechatronics intern who is keen to put some hours in and he also has a great attitude so that's a win. We have now started a build. Due to the optics challenges, there is not much chance we can replicate the complex lenses and optical modulators. We have opted to use a laser to simplify those constraints and focus on the lovely scanning system.

Once we have the scanning going I will need some resources which I hope I can find. 1) A signal source, I am trying to talk Andrew into this. Basically a high speed SD card WAV file player with an RGB and sync output. The other thing I will need is an AVI to 60 line RGBA 25fps wav file generator. The A being Audio.

Specs are planned to be
60 lines - 25 fps - RGB colour
Firt mirror polygon 18 faces @ 5000 rpm
Second mirror drum 12 faces @ 125 rpm
Screen size around 160 x 120mm = 4:3 aspect ratio

Here is the first video of hopefully many more. I hope you can offer some enthusiasm to keep us going to completion and possible support for the 2 issues we see coming...

youtu.be/syPK9MupIaY

Cheers
Keith
Attachments
Scophony_dims.pdf
(8.95 KiB) Downloaded 615 times
Robonz
Evil Genius

Cad Update

Postby Robonz » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:58 pm

Carter my intern has done some awesome work on the replica over the last two weeks in the time he has had available. We are almost ready to cut and assemble some more bits. Here is an image of the mechanical as of today. It's quite motivating when you have an image like this to look at. We have cut and tested some bits and they fit really well.

v1Render scophony -cropped.png

I hope we can show some real stuff in the near future

Cheers
Keith
Robonz
Evil Genius

Re: Cad Update

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:11 pm

Robonz wrote:Carter my intern has done some awesome work on the replica over the last two weeks in the time he has had available. We are almost ready to cut and assemble some more bits. Here is an image of the mechanical as of today. It's quite motivating when you have an image like this to look at. We have cut and tested some bits and they fit really well.

The attachment v1Render scophony -cropped.png is no longer available

I hope we can show some real stuff in the near future

Cheers
Keith

Looks pretty neat Keith i can see 2 minds are better than one :wink: your team reminds be of the great Russian inventor
Boris Grabovsky made pretty much the first working CRT television with the help of hes enthusiastic assistant !
Attachments
5.jpg
5.jpg (80.12 KiB) Viewed 7394 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: Modern Day Scophony Replica

Postby Dave Moll » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:07 am

With the help of the Google translator, the above caption translates as "Grabovsky - soviet physicist and inventor, Telephoto creator (year 1928) the first in the world to transmit and receive a full moving image by electronic method."

Apologies that it has taken me so long to get round to posting this.
Dave Moll
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Re: Modern Day Scophony Replica

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:47 pm

Dave Moll wrote:With the help of the Google translator, the above caption translates as "Grabovsky - soviet physicist and inventor, Telephoto creator (year 1928) the first in the world to transmit and receive a full moving image by electronic method."

Apologies that it has taken me so long to get round to posting this.

I feel bad not doing this my self ...with a lot of googling on Russian sites i found he's plans and such ,it was mentioned that there are 2 films taken at the time of he's tests in the Ukrainian archives ..is rather an important thing really .
I have some papper's mainly Russian or Ukrinian
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Return to Construction Diaries