The Beast

Centralised area for notes about construction projects. Each project has its own sub-forum. In the sub-forums will be topics relevant to parts of that project (e.g., there might be a topic on CRT problems). If you start a construction diary, just post in the forum with your project name as the topic, and a moderator will create a sub-forum for your project.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Re: The Beast

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat May 01, 2021 9:28 am

So far swapped over CRT guns on the H1025 and CRT control second circuit and beam does control beam cut out all is well and works i will jot the numbers down now and see !
Voltages to CRT at the moment ,second circuit i am increasing the focus to -800 as shown its a bit out on the second crt circuit mid 700's
Beam cut off is 54 volts on this CRT ,this second CRT circuit works as shown half way there .
Need to look at deflection balancing ,the CRT is very good on one axis size and position not so good on the other it was pointed out in the data and Steve due to the deflection plate positions you only get so much positioning control size i would like more control on the size but any way see what i can get out of it .
Attachments
addtext_com_MjAwNjU1MjA3NzM.jpg
addtext_com_MjAwNjU1MjA3NzM.jpg (56.37 KiB) Viewed 8071 times
DSCN7383_x264.mp4
(2.31 MiB) Downloaded 433 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri May 14, 2021 12:49 pm

Today is the first bit of free time or enough to sit down and look at the Beast again ,i have now connected the second CRT Gun testing here a bit easier as both beams pass the the X Axis deflection plates so making a noisy line as you see to one side .
I am just going to see what's possible as i go how this ends up ,so far i know i can have one of the guns do the video whats possible with the other gun a scope or another video channel is if it effect's the other ,i may have to switch it in and only have one on at a time if so any case its nice to get to this point and have some nice control of this CRT .
If you look at the CRT i have 2 sets of Y Axis plates but only one set of large X Axis so its a little limiting just swapping them around due to this so i will just built to what it can do .
I have to build the video circuits next and see how the scope idea effects the beam deflection from the other Gun .

Attachments
DSCN7404.JPG
DSCN7403.JPG
DSCN7399_x264.mp4
(8.35 MiB) Downloaded 407 times
DSCN7401.JPG
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat May 22, 2021 5:06 pm

Bit more work on The Beast of late ,i changed things around on the panel to make better use of it ,i still have to add some more controls for the video circuits which will be the top panel now
DSCN7419.JPG

The Video circuits are finished seem fine testing with the scope ,so they are ready to add when i have time .
DSCN7423.JPG

Below a look at the panel so far

This monitor i pretty much want it show every thing i have learnt so far experimenting with the last few monitor builds ,so its a bit more complex to what i have done ,hope it lasts ! as i will no doubt forget how it did it ! least i can review the build on the forum :lol:
One thing at a time and in time i have finish it off with its lid .
Attachments
DSCN7420_x264.mp4
(13.2 MiB) Downloaded 361 times
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed May 26, 2021 11:48 am

First image Baird once again upside down and inverted bit more work easy to fix but , never get it right the first time around :roll:
Go 2 bit better ,found display was also flipped as in letters wrong way around bingo ; ) X and Y axis all needed flipping,

edit........added later On modulation side i forgot to mention using this circuit feeding a tiny mains transformer primary between crt control grid and voltage secondary ground to the output cap circuit below, 2 ways to do invert normal as below or just reverse the transformer secondary or primary connections same result
Inverter 4 (1).gif
Inverter 4 (1).gif (5.39 KiB) Viewed 7077 times

DSCN7437.JPG
Attachments
DSCN7427.JPG
DSCN7432.JPG
DSCN7434.JPG
Last edited by Harry Dalek on Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed May 26, 2021 4:51 pm

Harry Dalek wrote:...X and Y axis all needed flipping,

Yep, been there, done that. No matter how hard you think about it, it'll be wrong. My experience too...even once managed to get the video polarity wrong...negative images...

There's a 1 in 8 chance you'll get all three wrong...and somehow I managed it!!

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu May 27, 2021 2:05 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:
Harry Dalek wrote:...X and Y axis all needed flipping,

Yep, been there, done that. No matter how hard you think about it, it'll be wrong. My experience too...even once managed to get the video polarity wrong...negative images...

There's a 1 in 8 chance you'll get all three wrong...and somehow I managed it!!

Steve A.

Yes for sure Steve working out the X and Y axis first go is not easy for me and my guess was way off :roll:
Other factors like the pc i am using for the videos pretty much is inverting the video but i use your circuit option you designed a while back makes life easier when its already made and i just have to switch it in for this problem . .

I am only really half way there with this go ... as my deflection amplifiers are on the same board as the DAC sawtooth generator circuit made a while back and again your circuits but i just kept it as is as it was already built and good for testing the CRT deflection and testing the video modulation thus the video drifting in the video below ...i am thinking of trying to sync it some time or use this on the scope idea for the second CRT gun .

I have built another Ramp generator your LM311 ramp generators circuits i will switch in so i can select the DAC or this for the hell of it ,the LM311 ramp generator i know works well and i want to work further than i did on the the devil monitor ,i could sync any line rate but only when the frame rate was 12.5 hz or a bit lower so i will see if i can change the frame rate this time .

I can go a little more complex here with all the room i have .

We are locked down again due to the virus being imported and getting out again so i will have a little more time to play around here .
Attachments
DSCN7454_x264.mp4
(41.44 MiB) Downloaded 615 times
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:02 pm

Finally worked out my analoge syncing 4538 mono IC605 B was playing up replacing the ic sure helped this time it wasn't a wiring mistake :roll:
circuits.jpg

Syncing seems fine on 32 line ,at the moment i have no Blanking going yet and i am using the past scope tv idea of passive modulation using a small mains transformer on the control grid ,as some thing different .

Plan is still turn the CRT to the side for Horizontal scanning and use the second set of deflection plates for the scope display i was held back a bit trying to work out the syncing .
Still a bit to do but is enjoyable to work on it since i started off not even knowing how to power this CRT
Attachments
DSCN7458_x264.mp4
(17.25 MiB) Downloaded 341 times
DSCN7464.JPG
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:19 pm

Another step forward today swapped to Horizontal scanning i am once again able to display in sync a number of different line rates as long as i am using 12.5hz framing ,next i will look into if i can use the second CRT gun for displaying scope waveform under the video if i can get away with not using a 3rd deflection amplifier we will see , i am also not sure it will work if i have to swap the deflection plates due to the different sizes i am happy with the video display as is so hope i have it the right way around to also use it as a scope .
48 line below .

Attachments
DSCN7490_x264.mp4
(3 MiB) Downloaded 317 times
DSCN7483_x264.mp4
(2.22 MiB) Downloaded 329 times
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:32 pm

Will be back soon on this been on Holiday still around and kicking ; )
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:43 pm

First day back at this project i have found my idea of using deflection plates for a dual scope monitor display same time will not work due to the X axis plates are shared swapping the V H scans i found drops the image to much since the 2 sets of y axis plates are a lot smaller size wise than the single set of very large X axis plates .
I could use the monitor as is and switch in the video to the X axis deflection amplifier replacing the saw tooth perhaps not what i was thinking originally but possible .
I will work on this problem see if the second idea works when tried .
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:29 pm

Ok added a switch selection to the line deflection amplifier to select video or scope signal display ,Not what was expecting to do but have to go with what works with what i got and the CRT works this way if i want to do both ,so gone is horizontal scanning back to vertical so i can use this idea .

Using about 60 line in the videos below .

Attachments
DSCN9993_x264.mp4
(2.46 MiB) Downloaded 277 times
DSCN9994_x264.mp4
(1.72 MiB) Downloaded 266 times
DSCN9995_x264_001.mp4
(2.96 MiB) Downloaded 275 times
Harry Dalek

Postby smeezekitty » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:48 pm

Looking great! All this CRT/analog stuff is a big mystery to me having a background in software and digital electronics but I'll be watching like I do most of your projects
smeezekitty
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:14 pm

smeezekitty wrote:Looking great! All this CRT/analog stuff is a big mystery to me having a background in software and digital electronics but I'll be watching like I do most of your projects

Well me too a while back !, a little training from Steve ( A LOT) a few CRT's ago sort of picked up enough information in my short term memory head to get them going .
You just have to understand where the HV voltages are and be very careful when its on ( or else ) ,like any thing just a step at a time and add a stage that does some thing and more on when that works ,this one's going a little slower than normal due to the tube at the start was not familiar to me and i had to see what i could and couldn't do with it and just work with that .
I will move on now to seeing what i can display using your FreeNBTV try different line and frame rates and see if i can better the Devil monitor .
CRT's have one nice thing over my mechanical tv skills, if you wire it right results are what you want i can only hope for this with my mechanical monitor construction.
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:41 pm

Harry Dalek wrote:...a little training from Steve ( A LOT) a few CRT's ago sort of picked up enough information to get them going...

No problem, I hope others have picked up a few pointers and one day will have a go too..
Harry Dalek wrote:...this one's going a little slower than normal due to the tube at the start was not familiar to me...

...nor me! I'm not even sure I would have attempted using this CRT. Your dogged determination has proven its worth again!

I've been a bit quiet here recently, two other projects are occupying me at the moment...

1) An update to my GPSDO (Global Positioning System Disciplined Oscillator) such that it now uses the GLONASS (Russia), Galileo (Europe), Beidou (Chinese), QZSS (Japan) satellites in addition to the usual US GPS and US SBAS systems. This gives me a frequency reference of 10MHz +/- 0.005Hz after a warm-up of an hour, but it's on 24Hrs so I don't have to wait. I don't really need that degree of accuracy, I'm just fascinated by time and its inverse, frequency. Positional accuracy should be within 10cm, but that I don't need - I think I know where I am when at home!

2) Real work, i.e. paying...A Sound Pressure Instrument for measuring and recording sound levels during concerts and the like, though not that many concerts happening right now. When the prototype looks at least reasonably presentable(?) I may post up a small item on it.

Steve A.

Relating to time (pun not intended)...there's a saying, "A man with one clock knows what the time is. A man with two clocks is never really sure."
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:46 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:No problem, I hope others have picked up a few pointers and one day will have a go too..

Yesi hope you have a go at another one as well ,advice it sure helped me i am still very interested in improving skills building them like to try a all valve monitor one day .
Hope too others look on and give it a go ..doing this one i am less worried about taking something different CRT i am used too ,as long as you know some information about the CRT you tend to be able to tweak it to work from a lower voltage range more information the better ,i must of had enough to get it going ,Data sheets do help .

...nor me! I'm not even sure I would have attempted using this CRT. Your dogged determination has proven its worth again!

It was more at the start i had nothing to loose it was going to sit there for years and do thing or experiment and see how it goes worst case you brake it ,i did figure i should at least be able to see a cathode ray spot then its a matter of brightness control and focusing control if you get passed this step onto the deflection side .
A dark room helps as you can notice the unfocused cathode rays on the phosphor then you can start tweaking to it and test for any improvements bit of trial and error works for me ,i kept on mind the HV power supply voltages would have to be adjusted to this CRT so started off on the lower side the end result voltages were very close to the data sheet .

I have the monitor set to sync at a frame rate of 12.5Hz all line rates from 40 line to 80 tested at the moment the pictures are between 50 line and 64 as we know with the bandwidth we have a on a PC sound card there's detail loss trying it to high with that frame rate ,i will be dropping the frame rate for a more lines later on should give very good detail for this size tube then .

I've been a bit quiet here recently, two other projects are occupying me at the moment...

1) An update to my GPSDO (Global Positioning System Disciplined Oscillator) such that it now uses the GLONASS (Russia), Galileo (Europe), Beidou (Chinese), QZSS (Japan) satellites in addition to the usual US GPS and US SBAS systems. This gives me a frequency reference of 10MHz +/- 0.005Hz after a warm-up of an hour, but it's on 24Hrs so I don't have to wait. I don't really need that degree of accuracy, I'm just fascinated by time and its inverse, frequency. Positional accuracy should be within 10cm, but that I don't need - I think I know where I am when at home![/quote]

I have not played with Satellites for a while not sure how often your waiting for them to update your device ,but i found it takes a few bit of the day up tracking them getting things ready.

2) Real work, i.e. paying...A Sound Pressure Instrument for measuring and recording sound levels during concerts and the like, though not that many concerts happening right now. When the prototype looks at least reasonably presentable(?) I may post up a small item on it.

Steve A.

That ones a bit different might get the bomb squad out on you if you bring a Gadget into a concert :lol:
[quote]
Attachments
DSCN9997.JPG
DSCN9998.JPG
DSCN9996.JPG
DSCN6219.JPG
DSCN6224.JPG
Harry Dalek

PreviousNext

Return to Construction Diaries - Electronic Televisions