Frame Sequential Cathode Ray Tube Project

Centralised area for notes about construction projects. Each project has its own sub-forum. In the sub-forums will be topics relevant to parts of that project (e.g., there might be a topic on CRT problems). If you start a construction diary, just post in the forum with your project name as the topic, and a moderator will create a sub-forum for your project.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

frame sequencer work

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:47 pm

i was testing my video frame sequencer first 3 pic's below are frame grabs displaying on PC and after out of my video frame sequencer to split the RGB colour signals to what will be 3 passive transformer modulators ...but in this case just the the scopes one .
My only problem here is as the video resets or on start up it cause's a random position of as to what colour frame starts first a manual reset gets it right and it will just stay playing the correct colour frame position till a reset of the video happens but i can't think how to do this automatically ,
Bit of a reboot here rethinking the whole project the syncing and framing modulation i should of worked out first so slowed me up here ,i am much happier with the anlaog idea ,i am just doing a bit on this each week see how it gos ,
Screen 00001.jpg
R
Screen 00001.jpg (11.62 KiB) Viewed 7787 times
Screen 00000.jpg
G
Screen 00000.jpg (10.56 KiB) Viewed 7787 times
Screen 00002.jpg
B
Screen 00002.jpg (7.52 KiB) Viewed 7787 times
Attachments
DSCN0024.JPG
red out of my video frame sequencer
DSCN0024.JPG (100.88 KiB) Viewed 7787 times
DSCN0026.JPG
green out of my video frame sequencer
DSCN0026.JPG (106.43 KiB) Viewed 7787 times
DSCN0023.JPG
Blue out of my video frame sequencer
DSCN0023.JPG (105.25 KiB) Viewed 7787 times
DSCN0111.JPG
frame sequencer
DSCN0111.JPG (220.96 KiB) Viewed 7787 times
Last edited by Harry Dalek on Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: Frame Sequential Cathode Ray Tube Project

Postby Andrew Davie » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:00 pm

I played a lot with making colour pictures from B&W sub-pictures when working on another platform. I'm wondering if you can go to what I call "interleaved chronocolour(TM)"? It makes a big difference to the perceived flicker. That is, on the first frame, consecutive lines being RGB RGB RGB and then on frame #2 them being GBR GBR GBR and then on frame #3 them being BRG BRG BRG. So on any given line, in 3 successive frames you see RGB. And on any given frame, in 3 successive lines you ALSO see RGB. It creates a rolling effect, but significantly reduces the flicker and totally enhances the perception of colour.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Re: Frame Sequential Cathode Ray Tube Project

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:05 pm

Andrew Davie wrote:I played a lot with making colour pictures from B&W sub-pictures when working on another platform.

Hi Andrew
i have only really done this on a PC and only of late yes its not that hard to turn a colour photo into a split 3 colour version ...bet it was harder on the earlier computer systems you mention .

I'm wondering if you can go to what I call "interleaved chronocolour(TM)"?

I have not heard of this Andrew doing a google Atari comes up on a search

It makes a big difference to the perceived flicker. That is, on the first frame, consecutive lines being RGB RGB RGB and then on frame #2 them being GBR GBR GBR and then on frame #3 them being BRG BRG BRG. So on any given line, in 3 successive frames you see RGB. And on any given frame, in 3 successive lines you ALSO see RGB. It creates a rolling effect, but significantly reduces the flicker and totally enhances the perception of colour.

[/quote]

Yes i can see how that would be an improvement i suppose it is a bit like FSC but line and frame so a bit of switching i can see even with my limited know how a way of constructing it for play back any way that is interesting .
i am playing around with one of Gary's FSC systems the 400 hz 32 line version at the moment so the 3 colour frames do a bit flicker a bit ,Gary kindly made me a 1.2khz 32 line version so that one once i use it its 3 times faster less flicker .

I am at the moment trying as simple as possible just to see if i can do it ,i think it should work now once i recontruct the deflection circuits and try it again on the colour crt ,i need 3 transformers for the passive modulation for the 3 cathodes .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Previous

Return to Construction Diaries - Electronic Televisions