The 3BP1 Anderson monitor

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Re: The 3BP1 Anderson monitor

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:16 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Possible, but only time will tell. With all gear that has exposed metal and high voltages, especially when it's in pieces, I make sure it's earthed with a continuity tester/multimeter right back to the plug that goes in the wall socket.

OH thats sort of how i found out i had forgotten the most important earthing did a hommer simpson doh

For the moment forget about the frame sync and let this soak for a few days, you really need to be sure that this 'sparking' is finally put to bed. I'm sure there are other things you could be getting on with whilst keeping one eye (and ear) on this.

Steve A.

Yes and the nose and touch my frying 4066 was a worry.......will do will just do a check run of it when i can this week.

Still very pleased with it should be minor thinkings now if i have fixed the sparking horror .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:29 pm

OK Steve gave it another run this afternoon ,fired up and ran fine for another hour to do this test ...i think its fine to go on and rework the input circuit to ic601.
I will just clean up the boards in the mean time . NO more Bangs smells or heating of parts !
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:34 pm

The monitor is a touch more neat now lots of umbilical cords but :wink: least the boards are safer laying than around on my bench.
Attachments
IMG_0470.JPG
IMG_0470.JPG (341.58 KiB) Viewed 13421 times
IMG_0489.JPG
IMG_0489.JPG (280.69 KiB) Viewed 13421 times
IMG_0495.JPG
IMG_0495.JPG (276.67 KiB) Viewed 13421 times
IMG_0471.JPG
IMG_0471.JPG (341.9 KiB) Viewed 13421 times
Harry Dalek

Postby AncientBrit » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:36 pm

Hi Harry,

Nice pictures, well done (at last!!).

Cheers,

Graham
AncientBrit
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:10 pm

AncientBrit wrote:Hi Harry,

Nice pictures, well done (at last!!).

Cheers,

Graham

HI Graham the monitor is still a bit fussy on normal NBTV signals at the moment its a bit better on inverted video the front end first opamp circuit needs a slight review ..but its not to bad almost there ...Have to slick at it ,it was a lot of work to get to here Thanks to Steve's Design and Help.
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:33 pm

I have to say that to stick through all the issues Harry has had with this, I admire his perseverance.

There are some issues that are still defying me, the inverted video thing is confuddling me. But between the two of us we'll fix it.

Some 10,000km, two time-zones and we're almost there! This sort of project is not for the faint-of-heart, Harry has basically built himself a complete electronic TV. Green it may be, but pictures it has.

So anyone else with a CRT kicking around doing nothing in a drawer? I'll regret asking that for sure!! (Not true really).

Steve A.

Harry, give me a few days to go through all my notes on this. It is entirely possible I've made a drop-off somewhere.
Steve Anderson

Postby AncientBrit » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:07 pm

Steve,

Nice circuits you developed.
And the tutorials on how you designed them.

I shall be using some of them in the future,

Cheers,

Graham
AncientBrit

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:14 pm

Thanks Graham.

I didn't quite grasp the fact I may have done things in a tutorial manner. Quite happy if I have. It's probably some of the University experience that I'm now engaged in rubbing off on me. If only we had cranial D-type connectors, I could download 40 years of experience (not necessarily knowledge) in an instant.

I'm also quite happy that a neighbour's nephew seems to be taking an interest in the hardware side of things, and not just banging away at a keyboard all day long. There's nothing wrong with that, but at least this guy knows which end of a soldering iron gets hot. Encouraging.

With a small amount of guidance he built a complete bicycle lighting system himself. Bright flashing rear lights (LEDs) and likewise some white ones in front. Rechargeable. Science teacher impressed. Done my job and I hope he'll live to a ripe old age on Bangkok's roads at night.

He's 13.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:56 pm

Thanks Steve you have been a good teacher here try and keep the information in my little head but lucky we have the forum for a long term memory !
I was going to try other computers i have for play back to see if thats a factor but have to go out tomorrow so will keep that for a day i do have time ,i have a desk top as well now that might help too.
Glad to here your next door friend is trying ,most people can not be bothered these days even to the point of getting things fixed ..what happened to the tv repair man ? as far as i know that person is now extinct in my neck of the woods !
Harry Dalek

Postby Panrock » Sun May 01, 2016 1:31 am

Well done Harry! That's a impressively complex looking bit of kit you've now got there. Testament to your perseverance. The main thing is it works - but then Steve A's designs always do!

Steve Anderson wrote:With a small amount of guidance he built a complete bicycle lighting system himself. Bright flashing rear lights (LEDs) and likewise some white ones in front. Rechargeable. Science teacher impressed. Done my job and I hope he'll live to a ripe old age on Bangkok's roads at night.
He's 13.

It's a great feeling isn't it, when we can pass on some of the fascination in our hobby to a young person and see how it brings a new enthusiasm to life.

Some years ago, I received a visit from a little chap and his parents (Radiocraft customers). I demonstrated the Mirror Screw to them, but the thing that really enthused young Aspen was to be allowed to play with the red, green and blue 'sit' pots on the control unit and watch as the line-of-light would then glow brilliantly in all sorts of colours. He sat enthralled doing this for at least half an hour.

Very educational in the concept of primary colours and Aspen has sent me a card every Christmas since!

Steve O
Panrock

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun May 01, 2016 4:14 pm

Panrock wrote:Well done Harry! That's a impressively complex looking bit of kit you've now got there. Testament to your perseverance. The main thing is it works - but then Steve A's designs always do!
Steve O

Thanks Steve O

I think its worse when you have many little boards ,its easier to work out what does what but connecting them to each other means more wiring ...a second life for those wires which came from old early 80s vcrs...

Had that CRT so many years i am so happy its doing something at last ,its nice to do something like this on a scope but making something from scratch is very satisfying...Yep very good Steve A design just a little tinkering now .
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun May 01, 2016 4:37 pm

Well, the trickiest part of this was/is the sync separator. Klaas did that work some years ago such that I didn't have to. Why re-invent the wheel? So Thank You Klaas.

The rest are slightly 'massaged' existing designs.

The guy with the hard job was Harry. Getting the parts, laying out the boards, wiring it all up, getting various bits to work when they refused. And (we hope this continues) he's still with us after dealing with some fairly dangerous voltages. Even making his own high-voltage test probe, easy, maybe, but how many actually get around to doing it?

Steve A.

Lethargy, I can't be bothered with it.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon May 02, 2016 8:03 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Well, the trickiest part of this was/is the sync separator. Klaas did that work some years ago such that I didn't have to. Why re-invent the wheel? So Thank You Klaas.

Yes indeed thanks to Klaas's sync separator !,for me it was a bit tricky till i replaced the the CA3140 with a NE5534 then it worked fine with circuits components unchanged ,perhaps my CA3140 are just cheap copies of a better one that Klass was using ...who knows whats inside these things if some one can get away with cutting costs they will.
I found changing all the other CA3140's in the other circuits made no difference really just IC603.

The rest are slightly 'massaged' existing designs.

Well good to get circuits that work from proven designs !

The guy with the hard job was Harry. Getting the parts, laying out the boards, wiring it all up, getting various bits to work when they refused. And (we hope this continues) he's still with us after dealing with some fairly dangerous voltages. Even making his own high-voltage test probe, easy, maybe, but how many actually get around to doing it?

Steve A.

Lethargy, I can't be bothered with it.

Yes i don't want a shock from this monitor as i know if i did it might be the end of me Sobering thought ....every time i power it up i know what to touch and what not to...The high voltage probe is some thing i needed very useful i wanted this so i needed that to make that ..i knew all those 10meg resistors would come in handy one day 30 years later !
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu May 05, 2016 3:01 pm

Today i had a look at the first IC601 Due to the problem of being a touch fussy for normal video or correct video polarity ,i tried swapping pins 2 and 3 that ended up worse ,then i tried adjusting R605 long shot see if that changed any thing all it showed was Steve worked out that was the correct resistor for the job !...i have tried a Ne5534 instead of the Ca3140 again much the muchness here also tried a old 741 even that worked but still same results as the better ics .
May be the voltage to the ic might be a thing to look at ..on normal setting the video looks overloaded even adjusting the sound level to the ic ..perhaps i need more than just the reversing wave to test i am not sure if my other videos are correct nbtv standard it might show for sure or not which direction to go .
I also tried other laptops and my desk top pc for play back again it was the same result...so still a bit of head scratching why invert works better than normal.
Attachments
3BP1 NBTV Sybc Sep Initial 1.gif
3BP1 NBTV Sybc Sep Initial 1.gif (8.8 KiB) Viewed 13336 times
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat May 07, 2016 2:03 pm

Agree, now it might be better switching a known good still of something familiar, say a human face where can see it's positive (not a negative) and the greys render correctly. Not sure I've a file like that, I'll have a poke around.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

PreviousNext

Return to The 3BP1 Anderson monitor