Bench Power Supplies.

Centralised area for notes about construction projects. Each project has its own sub-forum. In the sub-forums will be topics relevant to parts of that project (e.g., there might be a topic on motor control). If you start a construction diary, just post in the forum with your project name as the topic, and a moderator will create a sub-forum for your project.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Re: Bench Power Supplies.

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:22 pm

More thinking on this...using the two 18.5V/3.5A 'bricks', perhaps also use switched-mode regulators for the 1.8/2.5/3.3/5.0V positive outputs. These in all likelihood are only going to be used with logic-based circuits so the outputs don't need as clean as with an analogue load. Something like a bunch of LM2575 'simple switchers' will provide 1A each, generally enough. It may be possible to make the 'logic' supply switchable between the four voltages, it's unlikely more than one will be needed at a time, but I need to check the design procedure that it's possible.

If more than 1A is needed I do have a 5.0V/5A 'brick' (somewhere) that could be pressed into service, though that doesn't help with the other three voltages.

The +12/-12V supplies will use 7812/7912s, and the two variable supplies would be analogue as previous. It's most unlikely negative 1.8/2.5/3.3/5.0V would be required, so I'm omitting them...one day I'll probably regret that!

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: Bench Power Supplies.

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:59 pm

...should it be necessary, there's also a 3A version of the LM2575 series switching regulators, the LM2576, in both fixed and variable voltage versions...very similar otherwise, all available in TO220 packages...under consideration...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Previous

Return to Construction Diaries