How PY4ZBZ did SSTV in 1982!

Forum for discussion of SSTV topics. Slow Scan television (SSTV) is a picture transmission method used mainly by amateur radio operators, to transmit and receive static pictures via radio in monochrome or colour.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

How PY4ZBZ did SSTV in 1982!

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:57 pm

Another old SSTV nice build by the looks of it reason it was kept i suppose she was a keeper !
https://www.qsl.net/py4zbz/sstv/sstv1982.htm
Attachments
monsstv4.jpg
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: How PY4ZBZ did SSTV in 1982!

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:14 pm

...another nice find Harry. Though even dated as 1982, the circuitry is very dated. Maybe it was copied from a 1960s version? I can't see a power transformer, unless it's under the four blue electrolytics, in which case it seems uncomfortably close to the CRT. But I guess it must have worked....

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:52 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:...another nice find Harry. Though even dated as 1982, the circuitry is very dated. Maybe it was copied from a 1960s version? I can't see a power transformer, unless it's under the four blue electrolytics, in which case it seems uncomfortably close to the CRT. But I guess it must have worked....

Steve A.

Using the long case idea i would of put it far back right but yes can't see it either .
When i used that type of case ,for the power supply put the transformer at that distance it was fine does come down to the transformer design a better transformer has some shielding like that band of flat copper wrapped around it every little idea helps
No circuit for us to look at ; (
Here the main page from this fellow
https://www.qsl.net/p/py4zbz/hm/homemade.htm
i like the CRT in the can not mu metal may be if helped !
Attachments
tuv1.jpg
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:32 pm

Harry Dalek wrote:...(it) does come down to the transformer design a better transformer has some shielding like that band of flat copper wrapped around it every little idea helps...

One or two steel drinks cans (finally a use for discarded beer cans!) end-on-end would help, but not as good as mu-metal. Aluminium of course is useless here.

Alternatively, as I have suggested before, housing transformers/chokes, basically the unregulated part of the power supply, in a separate chassis/box on a 2m or so umbilical. Not as convenient as a single unit, but it is a solution. And/or use toroidal transformers.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Return to SSTV