NS108A Color SSTV

Forum for discussion of SSTV topics. Slow Scan television (SSTV) is a picture transmission method used mainly by amateur radio operators, to transmit and receive static pictures via radio in monochrome or colour.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

NS108A Color SSTV

Postby BruXy » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:58 am

NS108 Color SSTV

Just posting pictures of an interesting find on https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/, looks like some
Japanese clone of Robot 1200C, I like that unit with a build-in display (looks like LCD). I have never heard
about this one and even cannot google much, but in my bookmarks I have:

http://www.lint.ne.jp/~matumura/ns180.htm

BruXy
Laboratory Assistant

Re: NS108A Color SSTV

Postby acl » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:47 am

Very interesting , I have never seen this one before.

Regards Chris Lewis
acl
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:18 pm

acl wrote:Very interesting , I have never seen this one before.

No, neither have I. It looks well made, but it may have suffered from a 'Japanese Bias'. I read somewhere that a Japanese company made some SSTV gear and then exhibited it in the US. Apparently it was very good, but no-one was buying it.

It seems that it was built to handle the SSTV modes popular in Japan, but not those in the US. A classic case of someone not doing their market research, I wonder if this is the device?

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby BruXy » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:39 pm

It seems that it was built to handle the SSTV modes popular in Japan, but not those in the US.

I think it is "Tasco TSC-100" convertor, which initially only has Robot 36, Robot 72, and two AVT modes. During that time, on the band was only Martin M1 and Scottie S1 popular. The later upgrade of this model also implemented popular modes. But Tasco Electronics stopped producing SSTV gear in the middle of the 90s, the last is their SSTV handheld sold under Kenwood as VC-H1 visual communicator.
BruXy
Laboratory Assistant

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:47 pm

Thanks for the info...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Klaas Robers » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:27 am

This is more or less the Japaneese way of development. You make a prototype, show it in Akihabara and listen to the reactions.
Then you make a few products and try to sell them. If it is not a success you withdraw it without any rumour. Sometimes they do some improvements and return to the Akihabara phase. In fact I learned that this is the aim of Akihabara.

When I saw the pohotos I wondered already the texts on the front and on the back. They look scratched, dammaged as if it were transfer characters (Letraset) of a hand made model. May be it was the hand made model......
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Return to SSTV