Just a suggestion

Forum for discussion of SSTV topics. Slow Scan television (SSTV) is a picture transmission method used mainly by amateur radio operators, to transmit and receive static pictures via radio in monochrome or colour.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Just a suggestion

Postby gary » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:23 pm

I was thinking that a slightly better first up menu could be something like:

Mechanical NBTV (Mainly because NBTV has *never* been just about mechanical TV)

Electronic NBTV

SSTV (as I think it has enough in common with the previous two to warrant a promotion out of OT, possibly even splitting it into mechanical and electronic too)

Off Topic

MarketPlace

Images and Sound

Resources

Just a thought and an invitation to comment.

Note 1: The term NBTV is unfortunate in as much that SSTV is obviously a form of NBTV, but I think it is a bit much to redefine the NBTVA definition of NBTV to include SSTV.

Note 2: There would be some justification for adding MBTV (Medium Bandwidth TV) and HBTV (High Bandwidth TV) as well but as they are as yet pretty much undefined I am loath to suggest it - these being systems that use higher throughput systems albeit not necessarily of higher definition - eg my PC parallel port MBTV system (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW822Yv6b4s)
gary

Re: Just a suggestion

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:05 pm

Gary, I tend to agree with all that you suggest. But my only concern is the chap who is funding this forum didn't really envisage it diversifying into so many different areas. However I feel this is healthy, but... My other concern is the lack of true mechanical NBTV related postings over the past year or so. (I could be partially to blame for this). Recall that Andrew did post a warning possibly a year ago that somehow this forum would have to become self-funding or vanish.

Now those interested in the mechanical side might not be interested in SSTV (or even any other format), but there are techniques that can be modified from FAX say, to NBTV...and vice-versa...or any of the aforesaid systems.

I'm interested in any format, mechanical or otherwise, of less than 240-lines at 25fps, which seems to be where we might be going. OK, I'll concede 30fps.

It's really up to the guy who has funded this forum for more than eight years to decide. Suggestions like this though are most welcome.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Return to SSTV