Widescreen SSTV ?

Forum for discussion of SSTV topics. Slow Scan television (SSTV) is a picture transmission method used mainly by amateur radio operators, to transmit and receive static pictures via radio in monochrome or colour.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Widescreen SSTV ?

Postby OmegaProductions » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:01 am

Hello guys in NBTV! :D

Well...I have a note but, I have heard of Slow-Scan Television (SSTV) before. But I've seen some and most of them are just standard ratio. But what about widescreen? :?

It might be interesting to see a widescreen version! :D

But that's all I have to say...see ya later guys! Goodbye!! :D :) :wink:
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Re: Widescreen SSTV ?

Postby OmegaProductions » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:03 am

I did do a testcard parody of BBC Testcard W. Instead of the girl with a clown puppet, instead I added my cousin's cat called "Violet". Which I took a picture of a year ago.

But here's the photo below:
VBS SSTV Testcard W (Widescreen).png

LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcB1g2_i0bc

I only just uploaded this Testcard video today!!!! :D :) :wink:
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Postby ppppenguin » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:39 pm

Baird did wide screen. He just turned it through 90 degrees :D

The original Baird 30 line system was 3:7, rather more extreme than 16:9.
Jeffrey Borinsky www.borinsky.co.uk
ppppenguin
Research Scientist

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:52 pm

Well you could speed up say the original system from 7 or 8 seconds to say 5 or 6 seconds that will give a aspect ratio similar i suppose ,,,,i only really like the original system b/w as it can be reproduced on a CRT monitor or a mechanical system i loose interest when you have to use a pc as the only way to view it ..
i like past technology but your idea is a good one still could be made to work on old monitors...but in b/w as it is cool ~ :mrgreen:
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby OmegaProductions » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:53 pm

I know! I may do that and make my homemade CRT monitor in the future. It's quite similar to my old Bush TV in our storage room.

But on the internet...I saw the Philips HD CRT that has widescreen. Here's a picture I found on the internet.

V22JZHYJ.jpg
V22JZHYJ.jpg (39.99 KiB) Viewed 18079 times
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Postby OmegaProductions » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:13 pm

Since I realised how they the scanning ratios work, here's a diagram that I drawn from Paint. I also featured in my testcards featuring Violet the Cat. I hope you enjoy!!!! :D :) :wink:

CRTs SSTV diagram (12th-11-2017).png
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:11 pm

BTW this monitor television even if converted will not do Slow Scan you need a CRT with a p7 phosphor or do it the mechanical way as below with glow paint and the UV laser .
Careful playing around with a tube like that its deadly !

youtu.be/lk0lnELdzaY
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Andrew Davie » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:46 pm

Harry Dalek wrote:Careful playing around with a tube like that its deadly !

Reminds me of the lady I gave my old oscilloscope to. Her son was getting into electronics and she thought he would learn a lot by mucking about with old televisions. I soon persuaded her that wasn't a good idea. "But they'll be unplugged" she said. "so will he!" I said!
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:15 pm

Andrew Davie wrote:
Harry Dalek wrote:Careful playing around with a tube like that its deadly !

Reminds me of the lady I gave my old oscilloscope to. Her son was getting into electronics and she thought he would learn a lot by mucking about with old televisions. I soon persuaded her that wasn't a good idea. "But they'll be unplugged" she said. "so will he!" I said!

Yes better Start with battery radios nice and safe !
I can't say to much as a kid i played with valve radios before i knew what the hell every thing was had no information what so ever or any one to tell me , i got shocked more than once putting my fingers on what i now know were the power supply capacitors had to learn the hard way they are still changed up when the thing got unplugged :shock:
CRT's nasty big glass capacitors ...if you know then you know what not to touch 8)
Harry Dalek

Postby OmegaProductions » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:33 am

Oh yes I noticed! CRTs and other tube types are high voltage! But I may do the mechanical way like what you did Harry. I seen your mechanical glow drum SSTV and it looks impressive. 8)

I may do your method, but get a wider tin can. But thanks for the post! :D :) :wink:
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Postby OmegaProductions » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:00 am

Hello guys! This is a drawing that I drew today and I'm imagining of what my SSTV setup could look like. It also features in the widescreen CRT television in this drawing! I hope you enjoy!! :D :) :wink:
IMG_1664.JPG
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:33 pm

OmegaProductions wrote:Oh yes I noticed! CRTs and other tube types are high voltage! But I may do the mechanical way like what you did Harry. I seen your mechanical glow drum SSTV and it looks impressive. 8)

I may do your method, but get a wider tin can. But thanks for the post! :D :) :wink:

The same tin can do what you want you just have to slow down the drum a touch every thing will look squashed but as you need the system to be the same speeds at the transmitting side such as a flying spot scanner or software or camera .
As you see in that video the pictures some are a touch long in aspect ratio it was running to fast ..... my drum was never synced all manual control for the stepper motors line mirror and frame glow drum speeds.
You could do a system read the posts here ...
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1890&start=120

SSTV scanner above and read the posts also in mechanical sstv steps ....the scanner is very simple a good one to start off with .
I like you drawings it reminds me of the art in the Secret Life Of Machines
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=secret+life+o ... l18q7Gi4GQ
The problem of using that wide screen Crt tv for SSTV system is it displays to fast so the image memory is not there thats why it can display 25 frames a second not 1 frame in 7 or 8 seconds as in SSTV you would need a sstv to fast scan converter for it to work see Steve Anderson post in SSTV on he's converter if you want to go down that road .
Harry Dalek

Postby OmegaProductions » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:36 pm

Oh yeah...I noticed now! It's also a HD set and it might have 1,250 lines. Which is a pain! :oops:

It might be very fast scanning the lines on this advanced TV sets. Thanks for spotting that out Harry! :D

But anyways, that's all I had to say! Goodbye!! :D :) :wink:
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Postby OmegaProductions » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:17 am

And today...I did a video of what the widescreen SSTV format advantages and uses in the future. If you want to see the video, the link is below:

Widescreen SSTV thumbnail!.png
Widescreen SSTV thumbnail!.png (667.77 KiB) Viewed 18022 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjKwTyLLcKM
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Postby OmegaProductions » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:24 am

I know it's not all about widescreen SSTV but I have some great news for you all!! I finally transmitted my first SSTV image to my iPad and it shown up a decent picture! I am so excited that it works!!!! I am so happy that it really works!!!! :mrgreen: Anyways...if you want to see the video I did, the link is here below:
IMG_1671.JPG
IMG_1671.JPG (56.49 KiB) Viewed 17927 times

youtu.be/EqJxatd2Yms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqJxatd2Yms
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Next

Return to SSTV