SSTV NBTV ?

Forum for discussion of SSTV topics. Slow Scan television (SSTV) is a picture transmission method used mainly by amateur radio operators, to transmit and receive static pictures via radio in monochrome or colour.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Re: SSTV NBTV ?

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:07 pm

...and afterthought...

I have some FTDI USB-TTL/RS232/422/485 'cables...

https://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables.htm

...they unfortunately cost a bit more than one dollar!

These go up to 3Mb/s, including start/stop bits that's 300kB/s. Two bytes/sample = 150k-samples/s, a bandwidth of 75kHz. Add your own DC-coupled A-D/D-A and you're in business...for NBTV you probably want to put in an anti-aliasing filter at about 20 or so kHz.

I'm sure there's software 'out there' that will dump the data into a file and spit it out again, or some clever bod to create some. Even Hyperterminal or RealTerm should handle it.

Steve A.

I've just remembered, Hyperterminal doesn't like values like 0x19 that are control codes in ASCII, RealTerm has no issue as long as you specify it's a binary file, not text. I'm sure there are others, maybe TerraTerm? All three are freebies...
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: SSTV NBTV ?

Postby Monochrome » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:22 am

Thanks Steve,

When time permits I will have a play around with some hardware and try hacking a sound-card.

Steve wrote:
"I'm sure there's software 'out there' that will dump the data into a file and spit it out again, or some clever bod to create some. Even Hyperterminal or RealTerm should handle it."

Linux seems to be good for jobs like that though sadly my software skills are very limited. Indeed, I am currently having difficulty in simply installing Dom's nbsc software on one of my laptops :-( Thankfully, Dom has responded with some technical advice and things are looking-up a bit.

All good fun :-)

73,s

Des (M0AYF)
Monochrome
Research Scientist

Previous

Return to SSTV