Linear CCD SSTV Camera?

Forum for discussion of SSTV topics. Slow Scan television (SSTV) is a picture transmission method used mainly by amateur radio operators, to transmit and receive static pictures via radio in monochrome or colour.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Linear CCD SSTV Camera?

Postby jjester6000 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:02 am

What do you guys think about using a linear CCD in an SSTV Camera?

Using a variable oscillator, I could make it run at virtually any standard.

I was thinking of making something like a flying spot scanner for 35mm slides, or maybe a camera with a drum for the vertical deflection.
1328501435398.jpg
1328501435398.jpg (32.7 KiB) Viewed 4151 times

The unit I was thinking of using is a S11151-2048 linear CCD. What do you guys think?
If life doesn't give you lemons - Grow Some DAMMIT!!!
jjester6000
Laboratory Assistant

Re: Linear CCD SSTV Camera?

Postby kd2bd » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:19 am

Are there any two dimensional CCD imagers currently available that can handle the job without the need for any mechanical scanning?

I would also be interested if anyone has had any success working with small video LCD or TFT displays for the purpose of displaying SSTV images without the need for scan conversion or a CRT.

73 de John, KD2BD
kd2bd
Mad Scientist

Postby Klaas Robers » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:11 am

I know that in the past Grand Dixon made an NBTV display using about 1500 LEDs in an array of about 16 x 24 cm. I have it never seen working but it did. I think that the clearly visible pixels (= LEDs) made it not nice to watch NBTV on.

But for the more recent history, look at the contraptions that Karen made. I cannot imagine that she did not think of flat displays.

If you like the linear CCD camera, I would think of a transparent slowly rotating glass polygon to make the other scanning direction.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:09 pm

There's also Alberts' 'Niptrix'...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1587&hilit=niptrix

...likewise, loads of LEDs to wire up, a true labour of love...

I considered using the device below (see first pdf) for a camera mounted on the outer edge of a disc rotating at 750 rpm. Instead of using slip-rings an on-axis optical LED-photodiode/transistor to transfer the signal. Two small PP3 type rechargeable batteries would provide the power for the stuff rotating and add mass to the disc, balanced of course.

The sensor was to be a TSL201R 64x1 photo detector array...however it never got further than sketches...plus with the very short exposure and integration time probably very insensitive.

It would also require some electronics (memory) to arrange the output in the standard NBTV format.

For SSTV I devised a pseudo-mechanical arrangement using a 33 RPM turntable and a 'nodding' sensor and lens, though using the linear array mentioned the turntable could be omitted. That idea didn't even get as far as sketches!

For SSTV and improved linear array would be needed of at least 128 'cells'. (Second PDF). Once the SSTV-VGA up-convertor is complete I may make this my next project...

Steve A.

TSL201R.PDF
(99.69 KiB) Downloaded 233 times

TSL202R.pdf
(122.88 KiB) Downloaded 232 times

Wouldn't you know it? It appears those sensors are no longer available...company buy-outs and so on...time to hunt for something similar...
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:22 pm

I found this, virtually identical at first glance, now to find a distributor...

Steve A.

TSL1401CCS_DS000419_1-00.pdf
(619.8 KiB) Downloaded 249 times

Next headache...only available in solder-bump packaging...makes them useless to us lot...

Here's what they would look like...if you could get them in DIL/DIP packaging...the whole range declared obsolete in 2016...I should have bought some while I had the chance...

ezgif-7-ac82a622d923.jpg
ezgif-7-ac82a622d923.jpg (46.85 KiB) Viewed 4098 times
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Return to SSTV