SSTV-VGA Up-Converter MkI

Where it all started as far as most are concerned and saw heavy use from the 60s through to the 80s. Colour and Hi-res modes have unfortunately pushed this system into the backwaters of SSTV. Time to resurrect interest in this simple analogue system.

SSTV-VGA Up-Converter MkI

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:49 pm

This is a continuation of the thread "SSTV-625 Up Converter MkV (Five)...", I've changed the title to "SSTV-VGA Up-Converter MkI" for clarity...as it doesn't produce the old analogue TV standards, but 800x600 VGA which gets around the 50Hz/60Hz incompatibility problem. Though most modern TVs will handle both 50Hz and 60Hz, there'll come a time when those will be dropped from current production TVs with the closure of analogue TV broadcasting.

Even PC monitors in time will probably lose their analogue inputs...VGA, SVGA, XGA and so on...if not already...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: SSTV-VGA Up-Converter MkI

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu May 06, 2021 5:20 pm

For a number of reasons I'm placing this project 'on-hold'. Most significantly a paid project that perfectly overlaps a NBTV project I started some time ago has landed in my lap. Expect to see a resumption of the DC-coupled NBTV PC recorder (or whatever I called it) very soon.

I will resume this thread when the above is complete...I am on a fixed timeline so it shouldn't be that long an interruption...

The original thread was called "Negating LF problems of NBTV.", which I will continue...in the 'Electronic NBTV' section...I started it just over a year ago, this SSTV-VGA thing has distracted me...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri May 07, 2021 8:26 pm

Well a bit of a brake well deserved on this one, has gone on for a few years on and off some times its good to have a change and come back later .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri May 07, 2021 8:34 pm

Harry Dalek wrote:...sometimes it's good to have a change and come back later .

Agreed, sometimes you can get 'too close' to a problem, project or whatever. Taking a break does make a difference when you return with a fresh mind. Plus in the interim you may have learned something which overcomes whatever was the difficulty you may have been having. I think I may be at that stage right now...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Return to Cop McDonald's FM SSTV System