Secure Access

Site-wide announcements, tips & tricks.

Secure Access

Postby Andrew Davie » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:51 pm

If you are concerned if your browser tells you that this site is "Not Secure" when accessing this forum, there is a fix.
I have now enabled secure access through the following URL: https://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum/
Both (http:// and https://) should work, so it's business as usual hopefully.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Re: Secure Access

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:25 pm

Not had any alerts thus far...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby gary » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:32 pm

Andrew, are these odd icons related to that or is it because those areas are under construction or something?

odd icons.JPG
odd icons.JPG (13.99 KiB) Viewed 18196 times
gary

Postby Andrew Davie » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:23 pm

They are supposed to represent "sub-forums". That is, forums inside the current forum, inside which are posts specific to a particular topic.
I added subforums for "Construction diaries". The reddish one indicates there's new posts in the forum.
Since they're hard to see, I'm just going to change them to the regular post arrow thing, as all they really mean is "new posts here" and "no new posts here"
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Andrew Davie » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:27 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Not had any alerts thus far...

Steve A.

The chrome browser is now indicating "not secure" in the address bar for ALL sites which do not present security certificates to the browser.
I was just providing an alternate "secure" access to the forum, via the https:// prefix instead of http:// prefix.
Doesn't affect anything except that password entry is encrypted and secure when you log in with the https:// version.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Andrew Davie » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:36 pm

gary wrote:Andrew, are these odd icons related to that or is it because those areas are under construction or something?

odd icons.JPG

To make things a little clearer, I have changed these icons to the same as the topic read/unread icons. They served the same purpose, but for forums instead of topics.
Now all are the same, but you may not see the change until you clear your browser image cache or history. That's because the filenames are the same, and browsers don't re-download images with the same name if it already has them in the local cache. Anyway, let's see how it goes.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Secure Access

Postby acl » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:16 pm

Hi Gary,

Must be something I am doing my end but I cannot access SSTV forum (see attached screen dump). Using Internet Explorer

Regards Chris Lewis
Attachments
Capture.JPG
(80.46 KiB) Not downloaded yet
acl
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby Andrew Davie » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:23 pm

acl wrote:Hi Gary,

Must be something I am doing my end but I cannot access SSTV forum (see attached screen dump). Using Internet Explorer

Regards Chris Lewis

Was not set up with correct permissions settings but I think I might have fixed it. Let me know.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby gary » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:33 pm

Andrew Davie wrote:
Was not set up with correct permissions settings but I think I might have fixed it. Let me know.

There is still a permission problem but I think I can now get further in than before you made the mod. Cheers.
gary

Postby Andrew Davie » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:09 pm

gary wrote:
Andrew Davie wrote:

There is still a permission problem but I think I can now get further in than before you made the mod. Cheers.

Should be fixed now.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby gary » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:41 pm

Andrew Davie wrote:
gary wrote:
Andrew Davie wrote:

Should be fixed now.

Not yet I'm afraid :-(
gary

Postby Andrew Davie » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:15 pm

gary wrote:Not yet I'm afraid :-(

Well, I'm just pushing random buttons now...
I did go through and manually set permissions for ALL forums for ALL types of users, so let's see how THAT works :)
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby gary » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:34 pm

Andrew Davie wrote:
Well, I'm just pushing random buttons now...
I did go through and manually set permissions for ALL forums for ALL types of users, so let's see how THAT works :)

LOL Well whatever you did worked ha ha.
gary

Postby Andrew Davie » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:37 pm

gary wrote:Andrew, are these odd icons related to that or is it because those areas are under construction or something?

odd icons.JPG

I did change these "odd icons" but because they use the same filename, you may not see the new version.
The ONLY way for you to fix this is to clear your browser's image cache - because it's your browser that's deciding not to download the new images.
So if you're still seeing the "odd icons" - please clear your cache, and all will be OK.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby gary » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:11 am

Those icons have changed thanks, Andrew.

There is one (The Retro SSTV Anyone?) that has an X in the button rather than the > symbol.
gary

Next

Return to Announcements