Embed Video

Site-wide announcements, tips & tricks.

Embed Video

Postby Andrew Davie » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:37 am

Here's a new way to embed MP4 videos, instead of uploading to youtube; upload the MP4 via the "Upload Attachment" tab, then right-click the file and "copy link address" or similar option from the menu. Then include that address between [ video ] and [ /video ] tags (without the spaces). You should get an embedded video player of the video in your post. I'll look at extending this to AVI and other formats soon.

Update: see below about optimising the video for the web - and consequently enabling "instant start" playback.
Attachments
VID_20170312_214655.mp4
(2.45 MiB) Downloaded 1469 times
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Re: Embed Video

Postby gary » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:50 pm

Excellent Andrew! That's a great help. Cheers.
gary

Postby gary » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:18 am

Actually that seems to be very susceptible to the type of MP4 video (not that surprising I suppose) - is there any documentation on what it expects?
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:00 pm

Great idea for the forum Andrew my worry with You tube is its just linked if you tube ever gos there gos the link ..you have done a lot on this forum i have not see on others ,i saw one forum the other day and you had to email any photos before it could be put on that forum thats a pain who could be bothered !
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Andrew Davie » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:28 pm

gary wrote:Actually that seems to be very susceptible to the type of MP4 video (not that surprising I suppose) - is there any documentation on what it expects?

It's using the HTML5 "video" tag with the paramter... type-"video/mp4"
Aside from that, I haven't delved into the limitations.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Andrew Davie » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:30 pm

Harry Dalek wrote:Great idea for the forum Andrew my worry with You tube is its just linked if you tube ever gos there gos the link ..you have done a lot on this forum i have not see on others ,i saw one forum the other day and you had to email any photos before it could be put on that forum thats a pain who could be bothered !

The downside is that the entire video needs to be downloaded by the browser before it starts playing. That can be quite a while for large videos. On the other hand, YouTube videos are streaming, so they can start pretty quickly. One option is to upload to youtube and use the youtube link/tag to embed the video, but ALSO upload it as an attachment so that the file is there in case the youtube link disappears.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Andrew Davie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:16 am

It turns out that the video only needs to be downloaded in entirety if it is NOT optimised for web delivery. To optimise, you have to have the [moov] (metadata) block before the [mdat] (video/audio data) block. To do THAT, if you use Handbrake (and I recommend you do) to size/convert your videos, there's a checkbox "Web optimised" for doing exactly that. So, here's a video with that metadata first... it should start playing straight away!

Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Andrew Davie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:31 am

Here's the first video re-encoded as suggested. It should start quickly instead of doing a big download first!

Attachments
VID_20170312_214655b.mp4
(2.12 MiB) Downloaded 1235 times
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:19 am

I will give that a Go Andrew next time i upload one sounds like the quality and size are a better factor than you ntube some times i want the video a touch smaller than whats posted up an the tube.
i think opera might not work with it works well with chrome quality much better than you tube
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Andrew Davie » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:19 am

I have made a minor change to the internal workings of the "video" tag. These videos on the forum will now automatically loop, rather than play once and halt.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Return to Announcements