Repository for Cop McDonalds SSTV system.

Forum for uploading audio files old or new for this system. Wave files at any sample rate are preferred but other formats are OK.

Repository for Cop McDonalds SSTV system.

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun May 07, 2017 3:13 pm

If you have any SSTV audio files in this system please upload them here. Wave files at any sample rate preferred but others OK. If they are at high sample rates they may be re-sampled/down-converted and changed to mono, then added.

Not only those that are perfect, but those off-air, complete with noise, interference and even tape recorder irregularities.

Remember the maximum single file upload to this board is 20MB and the maximum number of attachments per post is 50. (I know, wishful thinking).

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: Repository for Cop McDonalds SSTV system.

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon May 08, 2017 10:14 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:If you have any SSTV audio files in this system please upload them here. Wave files at any sample rate preferred but others OK. If they are at high sample rates they may be re-sampled/down-converted and changed to mono, then added.

Not only those that are perfect, but those off-air, complete with noise, interference and even tape recorder irregularities.

Remember the maximum single file upload to this board is 20MB and the maximum number of attachments per post is 50. (I know, wishful thinking).

Steve A.

The resulting pictures are about more Steve do you want a section for results ?
But yes to save the original 60's 70's audio is a great idea now almost lost due to them being unwanted and scattered ...i think klass mentioned he had some i had one cassette tape but but still lost so far since my move in 2000...

youtu.be/Ts0qQYc3cHs

youtu.be/r6NaA_kLm_U

youtu.be/SazH7RSWqWw

youtu.be/mH81SOsFMcE

youtu.be/UGVMJu_1MpI

youtu.be/eNN6xL2Cxrs

youtu.be/44YHL4LiDCE

youtu.be/IzJYU9o-nQ4

youtu.be/Kn7LXDb-5HY
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue May 09, 2017 3:42 pm

Harry Dalek wrote:...i had one cassette tape but but still lost so far since my move in 2000...

I think after 17 years we can give up on that! These things happen. Often I think, "Now where did I put such-and-such?" I search high and low and after a while I give up and presume it got tossed out or lost somehow. Whatever, you end up wasting a lot of time.

I'm looking for old(er) material to test the NBTV/SSTV-625 up-converter. I can generate 'perfect' SSTV audio files, I guess I could add in some white noise suitably filtered. But there's nothing quite like a real off-air recording to put this thing through its paces.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue May 09, 2017 6:55 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:
Harry Dalek wrote:...i had one cassette tape but but still lost so far since my move in 2000...

I think after 17 years we can give up on that! These things happen. Often I think, "Now where did I put such-and-such?" I search high and low and after a while I give up and presume it got tossed out or lost somehow. Whatever, you end up wasting a lot of time.

I'm looking for old(er) material to test the NBTV/SSTV-625 up-converter. I can generate 'perfect' SSTV audio files, I guess I could add in some white noise suitably filtered. But there's nothing quite like a real off-air recording to put this thing through its paces.

Steve A.

Yes 17 years indeed but being a hoarder of these things you never know whats in the next box its more which cassette its on ! :wink:

SSTV transmits rather well via air just using the PC speaker as the transmitter and receiver can be a mic of some sort i have tried it a few times ...a good for desk top testing it would give you the same results as if you were doing this with a radio transmitter receiver but a lot easier ..
I have done this just using the laptops speaker and mic ....one program playing a sstv wav the other on receive ...DX static picture turn the sound down ! 8)
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue May 09, 2017 7:21 pm

An good idea Harry. Multipath reflections - use a bathroom. Other noises as QRM (interference)...use your imagination! Even dogs barking, passing cars and motorcycles...depends on your location to a large extent. Even a TV or radio playing in the background. Worth a try. An AM radio tuned away from a station to pick up static, and here at this time of year, thunderstorms...trouble is I don't have an AM radio!

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue May 09, 2017 8:01 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:An good idea Harry. Multipath reflections - use a bathroom. Other noises as QRM (interference)...use your imagination! Even dogs barking, passing cars and motorcycles...depends on your location to a large extent. Even a TV or radio playing in the background. Worth a try. An AM radio tuned away from a station to pick up static, and here at this time of year, thunderstorms...trouble is I don't have an AM radio!

Steve A.

Here i tested the idea with ultra sonics bit of over kill for sstv as i mentioned last post good old speaker and mic work just as good with out the extra electronics but it has directional benefits..
Here i am reflecting the SSTV off my hand to the receiver transducer ...Oh yes sounds in the room cause interference make your own thunder .... :mrgreen:
Attachments
1 00001.jpg
1 00001.jpg (193.57 KiB) Viewed 13395 times
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue May 09, 2017 10:36 pm

I just did a quick test with my lap top using the speaker as transmitter and its mic as a receiver works much better when you have a mic plugged in that you can point at the speaker but any case you want a bad signal to test your gadget easy test .

youtu.be/WxHF61Pqrkk
Attachments
IMG_2235.JPG
IMG_2235.JPG (230.07 KiB) Viewed 13391 times
IMG_2232.JPG
IMG_2232.JPG (186.26 KiB) Viewed 13391 times
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed May 10, 2017 1:37 pm

Quite a good result Harry, or should that be a bad result? Whichever, it's the sort of thing I'm looking for even if it's not quite genuine. Certainly worth following up on.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed May 10, 2017 9:17 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Quite a good result Harry, or should that be a bad result? Whichever, it's the sort of thing I'm looking for even if it's not quite genuine. Certainly worth following up on.

Steve A.

Well results depend a lot on what is used as the transmitter and receiver but doesn't not get any simpler for Air transmitting ,the ultra sonics version gives a narrow beam and better bandwidth to narrow for good results for NBTV but you can see a picture which was a good result for me ...but SSTV it works great .

For little effort and little distance the speaker and mic via Air transmitting can sort of mimic a radio transmitter.

In the picture i am using the laptop mic but using the hand mic as the speaker ...a little twist
Attachments
IMG_2249.JPG
IMG_2249.JPG (299.67 KiB) Viewed 13381 times
Harry Dalek

Postby Klaas Robers » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:28 am

I made a recording of the SSTV signals that are in my 5FP7 monitor. In this run are 8 pictures coming from my 1973 hardware generator, built of DTL (Diode Transistor Logic) circuits, available at that time.

Each picture in the 50 Hz SSTV standard (line frequency = 16 2/3 Hz, field duration = 7.2 sec) is recorded twice. You will see:

1. black field,
2. white field,
3. black field with white horizontal lines,
4. white cross hatch on a black field,
5. checker board of 6 x 6 squares,
6. definition lines: 960 Hz, 800 Hz, 600 Hz, 400 Hz, 200 Hz, 100 Hz,
7. rising sawtooth,
8. descending grey scale of 6 grey levels.

The .wav file with a fade-in and a fade-out of both 1 sec., is recorded with a definition of 8 bits and a sample rate of 22.05 kHz.
Attachments
SSTV1trim.wav
(2.48 MiB) Downloaded 185 times
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:21 pm

Thanks Klaas, at the moment I have no way to display it or even view the demodulated signal on a 'scope. But when I can I'll leave the results here...

1973, 48 years ago...a good long-lasting piece of gear...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Klaas Robers » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:47 pm

It was that Chris "acl" asked me for SSTV files to watch onto his ROBOT400 as well as his "3 PIC" scan converter. Therefore I restored the set-up of the SB-style monitor and my Eee-PC to record the SSTV audio. The problem with that is that the Eee-PC has no audio line-input, so I had to use the microphone input and had to attenuate the sound volume about 50 dB.

In the monitor I made two rotary switches, one selects 1 out of 8 pictures and the other 1 out of 9 "banks". There are 8 banks in a large 8 Mb (= 1 MB) 27C080 EPROM and bank 0 comes from the in 1973 built hardwired DTL circuits. The picture selection switch has a extra "0" setting, which gives an alternating display of the 8 pictures in that bank. Each picture is automatically displayed twice, which is needed when you use a P7 picture tube. Then the first picture is somewhat blurred by the retention of the previous picture, but the second one is perfectly overwriting itself.

Of the 8 banks in the EPROM just one is programmed yet, I still should find the time and good feeling to make, edit, combine and program the other 56 pictures....... And also the texts, that you can see already on viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1926&start=300, should be printed onto the front plate. Sometimes it is difficult to complete a project for 100%. And the monitor project runs already from 1973.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:08 pm

That's given me and idea for another future SSTV project, a SSTV version of Ralphs' 'Romscanner'. Bring it up to date (not using EPROMs but Flash Memory) and such that it can store incoming files/photos itself. I started a thread in a similar vein for NBTV files/pictures, it's still on my 'to do' list. The two perhaps combined into one unit? Or optionally, SSTV only, NBTV only, or both.

The NBTV version I started in the 'Electronic NBTV' section called "Updated "ROM-Scanners" and the like."

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3008

But "Audacity" software will generally do all of that except not being DC-coupled for NBTV.

A third idea popped up last week, a spectrum analyser for SSTV, possibly for NBTV too, though I'm not sure how useful it would be for NBTV, not much I think. But that IS for the future, probably SSTV only.

But first I need to complete the current SSTV-VGA up-convertor! However, if anyone else wants to have a go at the above, please do so...

For the 'Romscanner' SSTV version, record an already modulated signal (1.2-2.3kHz), or baseband (0-1.0kHz) and create the modulated subcarrier within this unit? The latter requiring about 50% less memory than the former. Plus no discontinuity in the subcarrier when repeating or changing files/frames. I think I prefer the 'baseband record' (second) option, though it does require the additional modulator assembly/circuit.

To differentiate this from others similar as a start I'll call it "Fotostor MkI".

Steve A.

For full motion NBTV plus sound I did start a different thread years ago, I should pick up on that too...though that used a PC to record/store/play. Time to update, weed out and prioritise my 'projects spreadsheet.'
Steve Anderson

Postby Klaas Robers » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:11 pm

In fact my EPROM SSTV picture generator is a version of the ROM-scanner or better Grant Dixons NBTV EPROM generator. It stores the digitized base band video signal in the EPROM, 128 x 128 pixels, reconstructs the video signal and that is FM modulated. The selection (setting of the selection knobs) is stored in a register at the occurence of the V-sync. In this way it always gives complete SSTV-frames, top to bottom. And it is easy to generate automatic sequences of (8) SSTV frames.

If you want to store the FM-signal of received SSTV signals, I think the recording function of a PC and Audacity as an editing tool is the best way to go. However I used "Goldwave" for it, in that program I can choose to record in stereo/mono in 16/8 bits resolution and in quite some sample speeds. I don't know if Audacity can do this too.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:35 pm

Klaas Robers wrote:It stores the digitized base band video signal in the EPROM, 128 x 128 pixels, reconstructs the video signal and that is FM modulated.

That's exactly what I'm thinking of in my second option above, except replace the EPROM with Flash memory. So many advantages over EPROMs.

I've seen some photos of Grant Dixons' version, but I don't think anything more, but I'm probably wrong.

'Audacity' can do 8kHz mono sampling and export 8-bit files. File>Export Audio>Other Uncompressed Files>Unsigned 8-bit PCM, it's in WAV format.

I've not used it so no guarantees...

I've used Goldwave before, but it doesn't run on a Win 10 PC (the version with 8kHz/8-bits that is), it was fine with XP. I skipped Win 7/8/8.1, and obviously Vista...

For recording incoming received SSTV Audacity is fine...though you may have to add your own anti-aliasing filter externally, not a bad idea anyway. It depends on your hardware and what results you get without one as well as the sample rate you choose.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Next

Return to Audio files for Cop McDonald's SSTV system.