Baird Frame Sequential Colour example

If you wish to share NBTV-format media files, suitable for playback on a mechanical TV, please use this forum section to post them. Large files are OK.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Baird Frame Sequential Colour example

Postby gary » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:06 pm

An example of 15 line 10 fps (30 fields ps) frame sequential colour, created by Video2NBTV and converted to AVI by NBTVAnalyser.
Attachments
output2.avi
(6.39 MiB) Downloaded 683 times
gary

Re: Baird Frame Sequential Colour example

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:55 pm

gary wrote:An example of 15 line 10 fps (30 fields ps) frame sequential colour, created by Video2NBTV and converted to AVI by NBTVAnalyser.

Boy 15 lines looks ok Gary i was not expecting that perhaps the montor has a lot to do with it .. the Sequential colour looks good too ! have no idea how you have done in in your software its Magic :wink:
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: Baird Frame Sequential Colour example

Postby gary » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:47 pm

harry dalek wrote:
Boy 15 lines looks ok Gary i was not expecting that perhaps the montor has a lot to do with it .. the Sequential colour looks good too ! have no idea how you have done in in your software its Magic :wink:

Yes it is surprisingly effective - of course I have smoothed the line structure out with bilinear interpolation, and whilst something similar IS possible with a mechanical monitor (via aperture shape and size) not many do it. In fact some frown on interpolating as it is a form of low-pass filtering. In addition a computer render of this format has the advantage of storage, and whilst even that COULD be done with a mechanical monitor, that would be much harder. It will be interesting to see how well the eye interpolates the RGB fields at 30 fields per second.

The other possible weakness of this format as a simulation of the real thing is that all three RGB fields are extracted from the one frame, whereas in a mechanical camera the three fields would be temporally displaced. This could have been done in software too, but most video is less than 30 frames per second and so would be duplicated to some extent anyway.

Never-the-less the whole idea of the software is to give an idea, a benchmark if you like, as to how good the format COULD be made to look on a mechanical monitor.
gary

Postby Lowtone » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:07 pm

NTSC videos are 30fps
or some webcams can do that too
r a d i o P T T v i s i o n
Lowtone
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:54 pm

Hi gary is the sequential colour similar to the cbs colour wheel system ? just wondering if you think a colour wheel would work onit ..the more mechanical it is more i like it ..
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby gary » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:59 pm

harry dalek wrote:Hi gary is the sequential colour similar to the cbs colour wheel system ? just wondering if you think a colour wheel would work onit ..the more mechanical it is more i like it ..

Well it's more like the CBS colour wheel system is similar to Bairds system, but I suppose you can draw the analogy - in Bairds system the disk had three identical 15 aperture spirals on it each masked by red green or blue filter (hence the 10 frames per second, 30 fields per second specification). In one complete frame there were 3 fields of red, green, and blue, which the eye amortises into a single RGB frame. Obviously you could implement it with a single spiral and an external colour wheel.

http://www.earlytelevision.org/baird_me ... color.html
gary

Return to Images and Sound