NBTV Newsletter

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Postby Klaas Robers » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:17 pm

I just checked Frits Ogg (Nijmegen, the Netherlands) and Jo Ruffini (Hamont, Belgium), they also didn't receive the Newsletter yet. So the delay wasn't in Australia, it must have been in the UK, after posting and before sending abroad. That was the only common path.

I just checked my mail box, several letters, but no NBTV Newsletter.

Jeremy is aware of the problem and is trying to check out where it went wrong.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:56 pm

I am in Australia and still have not got mine ...i know my paypal is low at the moment has me wondering how it works .....if you have lack of funds for the years subscription ,i have no idea when they take it out i would keep it topped up for that if i knew .
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby gary » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:53 pm

In the latest newsletter an article by Peter Smith makes reference to a "Baird motor" - does anyone know what he is specifically referring to?
gary

Postby gary » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:13 pm

Anybody?
gary

Postby Klaas Robers » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:50 am

Gary,

I think Pete refers to the disc driving motor of an original Baird Televisor. These motors were run at 240V AC 50 Hz with a variable resistor in series. Or they can also be run from a DC voltage of about 40 volts. with the same resitors in series.

The synchronisation went with a phonic wheel, so precise influence of the voltage was not needed (Baird hoped). This high DC voltage makes it not so easy to construct a transistor stabiliser for. That is the circuit diagran that Peter suggests in the Newsletter.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby gary » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:49 pm

Thanks Klaas, that's pretty much as I had thought, I just found it strange that he used the term "Baird motor" as if it was something readers would have ready access to (I was getting excited there for a while as I thought that maybe someone had discovered a source). It is a very useful circuit in general for regulating the supply of higher voltage DC motors, which of course includes the ubiquitous Universal Motor.

Hmmm now where did I put that sewing machine motor...? ;-)
gary

June 2011 newsletter.

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:58 pm

If anyone was wondering (as I have been), here's part of an e-mail I received from Jeremy overnight...

The newsletter hasn't gone astray - it is, however, late. The copy meant to come out during June is 98% ready to be printed and will be out to members as soon as possible. Reason for delay: shortage of content, but I hope members will find this belated copy interesting.

So, not long yet...but please heed Jeremys' request for content...the next copy deadline is early August, the exact date will be in the forthcoming newsletter...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby gary » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:44 pm

Does anyone have an update on the June newsletter?
gary

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:27 pm

gary wrote:Does anyone have an update on the June newsletter?

No update, nor have I received it. I'll drop Jeremy a short note, I need to anyway as the normal submission deadline for the 'usual' September issue is drawing close and I can't see myself making it. As the June issue is so late I'm hoping for an extension of time...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby gary » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:30 pm

Thanks Steve.
gary

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:00 pm

Ladies and Gents, (I can't just say 'Gents' anymore)...

Overnight I received an e-mail from Jeremy, the pertinent part follows...

Hi

Thanks for message Steve and I understand the concern - the 'June' (sic) newsletter was delayed by shortage of material. The master was completed early July and emailed to our print and despatch people, but further delayed by their workload. It finally went actually on the press yesterday (Tuesday) morning and should be in the post during today.

So there it is, keep an eye on your post-box.

Further to what Jeremy says above he's trying to make up for lost time by getting the next issue out ahead of time. But...and it is a big but...he's still critically short of original material. He prefers (he is the Editor) to include original material rather than re-prints from other sources.

So, it's up to the likes of us to assist. If you've never submitted before here's your chance...and it is quite painless. When the first time an item of mine appeared in print I was ecstatic. Even now the buzz is still there..

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:23 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Ladies and Gents, (I can't just say 'Gents' anymore)...

Overnight I received an e-mail from Jeremy, the pertinent part follows...

Hi

Thanks for message Steve and I understand the concern - the 'June' (sic) newsletter was delayed by shortage of material. The master was completed early July and emailed to our print and despatch people, but further delayed by their workload. It finally went actually on the press yesterday (Tuesday) morning and should be in the post during today.

So there it is, keep an eye on your post-box.

Further to what Jeremy says above he's trying to make up for lost time by getting the next issue out ahead of time. But...and it is a big but...he's still critically short of original material. He prefers (he is the Editor) to include original material rather than re-prints from other sources.

So, it's up to the likes of us to assist. If you've never submitted before here's your chance...and it is quite painless. When the first time an item of mine appeared in print I was ecstatic. Even now the buzz is still there..

Steve A.

Hi Steve

Yakes i hope theres more photos of that kid as your avatar ....if not i know what happened !

As a kid and not knowing what i was doing with an old valve radio i was shocked many times playing with it ,its a wonder am still alive took me a while to work out what was happening with those big power supply capacitors :shock:

Now you know why i am not frightened .

On the news letter i am wondering if it should just be an offshoot to the forum which i know its the other way around ...for me i find the forum as a helpful thing more than the news letter ...i do get it and its history in all the issues is a very good thing but it might be better to ditch the hard copy for a club only access to it via the web and to submit information in more detail via the web site ...does this happen ? or email or snail mail ?

I like that the English CQ tv magazine is like this in a way perhaps Our hobby needs updating on this side ?

http://www.batc.org.uk/cq-tv/

I think all the waiting for issues must have something to do with lack of time and members either just liking the forum or others just wanting the newsletter ...at least having web access to it might help .
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:27 am

The avatar I tripped across while Googling for something totally unrelated to anything electrical, but it's the sort of dumb-ass thing I did as a kid, and I'm sure many others will (and have) follow in my footsteps.

The issue of "Cyber Membership" as per the BATC and their CQTV publication is apparently raised in the impending issue. That's all I know at the moment. We'll have to await its arrival to learn more.

I would far prefer to receive a clean, crisp .pdf file than a damp torn rag as a result of the rains here, but I do understand that there are those that prefer/require the printed version. But I would point out that It is the second decade of the 21st Century.

I might add to those not living in a tropical climate, there is no such thing as a waterproof mail-box.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby M3DVQ » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:49 am

Steve Anderson wrote:The issue of "Cyber Membership" as per the BATC and their CQTV publication is apparently raised in the impending issue.

Something's got to be sorted out as we've had a big argument about it at the AGM the last three or more years running and never get any closer to a consensus :roll:
M3DVQ
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:02 am

M3DVQ wrote:Something's got to be sorted out as we've had a big argument about it at the AGM...

Errr, well, I wasn't aware of any 'argument', I'm not saying there wasn't, just unaware. And with a furrowed brow I wonder why? Can you expand on this? Considering the report r.e. the April AGM is within (presumably) the June issue we haven't received as yet.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic