Playing with the 1496

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Playing with the 1496

Postby Panrock » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:21 am

I am currently playing with the MC1496 with a view to using it as a double balanced modulator, ie. with the carrier optionally disappearing when no modulation is coming in. I am currently at the stage of trying to understand how it should be best connected...

Would the attached circuit work? It is derived from one on the data sheet, but redrawn for simplicity. Assuming low impedance signal and modulation sources, I am still worried that the presence of the 100 ohm resistors feeding DC bias to pins 1 and 4 would render the effect of the 47K 'carrier null' pot - null and void! :? Or am I mistaken?

Thanks for any help.

Steve O
Attachments
bal_modulator1.gif
(41.26 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Panrock
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby AncientBrit » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:15 pm

Hi Steve,

I've done a little digging of circuits that have used the 1496 in the past.
From CQTV, my own PAL encoder, and Linsley Hood's synchrodyne AM Rx.

Certainly the 100R looks a little low.
The general consensus seems to be a 1k resistor to a reference potential (rail or mid rail) from each of pins 1 and 4
Then a mid range pot, say 4k7 or 20k across pins 1 and 4, with a 47k resistor from pot wiper to either supply rail, or 0v.

What you are trying to do is introduce a small balancing current so the wiper can go via the 47k to either rail

From what I remember in my PAL coder design the chip is well balanced and only a very modest correction was needed to achieve accurate sub-carrier nulling

Hope this is of use

Cheers,

Graham
AncientBrit

Postby Panrock » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:24 pm

Useful tips - many thanks!

I believe what I am basically trying to do is create a Ring Modulator. So I am also going to try doing this with a couple of transformers and some diodes.... could be simpler.

Steve O
Panrock

Postby AncientBrit » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:31 pm

Good luck,

Cheers,

Graham
AncientBrit

Postby Panrock » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:14 pm

This second method has had good results. I have been amplitude modulating a high-end audio carrier with lower audio frequencies. With this double-balanced modulator the 'AM output' has a suppressed carrier. In other words, the carrier only appears under conditions of modulation.

It strikes me this method could be used for broadcasting NBTV wirelessly across a room, using 40KHz transducers and ultrasonic sound.

Steve O
Attachments
modulator.gif
modulator.gif (9.85 KiB) Viewed 6114 times
Panrock

Return to Off Topic