The Blattnerphone

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

The Blattnerphone

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:19 pm

What an interesting monster of sound recorder and pretty rare .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31VRgGV-AfM
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: The Blattnerphone

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:08 pm

I had heard the name before but that was it, I had no idea it was a tape recorder...and yes, somewhat of a monster!

But I will say that sep-mag (separate magnetic) or sound follower machines used in the movie industry were often around the same size. They could well still be in use. I installed a new one at the BBC White City sometime in the mid 80s. Here's a Wikipedia entry...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_follower

Here's a similar one to the version I installed, it's about two metres tall...

Steve A.
Attachments
AltraMKII_full.jpg
AltraMKII_full.jpg (21.79 KiB) Viewed 4979 times
Steve Anderson

Re: The Blattnerphone

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:52 pm

Lots of tape guides on that one Steve ,i know the film was optical sound recording but never saw one of these beasts before either...
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Return to Off Topic