The past ....The video phone

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

The past ....The video phone

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:07 pm

Found an interesting site Tesla Predicts the Portable TV (1926) pretty much got it right on the phone , wanting to talk to Martians perhaps not then again the rovers are Martians now.
http://paleofuture.com/blog/2011/2/7/te ... -1926.html

Other clunky ideas for the video phone have past us by but the last clipping posted here is pretty amazing pretty much a round iphone apart from the 3d idea ..they should make a round one ~!
Attachments
Bell picturephone1956.jpg
Bell picturephone1956.jpg (97.89 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
1955 Sept 3 Oakland Tribune Videophone.jpg
1955 Sept 3 Oakland Tribune Videophone.jpg (53.4 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
3374620-5496910-thumbnail.jpg
3374620-5496910-thumbnail.jpg (136.63 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
1956-Nov-23-Star-News---Pas.jpg
1956-Nov-23-Star-News---Pas.jpg (62.39 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: The past ....The video phone

Postby DrZarkov » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:19 am

Video-phone had been done 20 years before, in Germany. There was an official videophone-service between Berlin and Munich. Working with 180 lines. But of course no videophone between households. Strange enough, there were many attempts to establish a videophone service, the last big attempt was in the late 1980s, here it was called "BIGphone", working via ISDN. But nobody wanted it. Even now, when you can have a video-line using Skype or similiar apps via your smartphone, hardly anybody is using it. Mostly for video conferences in the industry or deaf people, the same like in 1936 in Germany...
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Re: The past ....The video phone

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:07 pm

DrZarkov wrote:Video-phone had been done 20 years before, in Germany. There was an official videophone-service between Berlin and Munich. Working with 180 lines. But of course no videophone between households. Strange enough, there were many attempts to establish a videophone service, the last big attempt was in the late 1980s, here it was called "BIGphone", working via ISDN. But nobody wanted it. Even now, when you can have a video-line using Skype or similiar apps via your smartphone, hardly anybody is using it. Mostly for video conferences in the industry or deaf people, the same like in 1936 in Germany...

I think your right on the video phone i am not really into the video chatting apps and i don't know how easy they are to use but watching my family with this stuff they tend to just use it between them not strangers and very rarely .

Its interesting that this sort idea for the use for television has been around before television was invented .

People just don't like the idea of it
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Return to Off Topic