Not even off-topic, just related to this/these forums.

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Not even off-topic, just related to this/these forums.

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:34 am

Andrew, (or anyone else),

Is there a way to lay out a post such that you have a bunch of text, then a picture, then more text, then another picture? Rather than have all the attachements bunched together at the bottom? And sometimes they don't appear in the order you wish them.

A minor niggle, but enough to get me to post this...

What's needed is something like <ia> {filename}</ia>. Using your own example from some time back about using square brackets. <ia> meaning 'Insert Attatchment'.

Of course one can compose it as a Word document or a pdf, but it's not the same.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby NutmegCT » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:40 am

Steve - you can do it by using the [img]image%20address[/img] tags (as long as the image has a url):

Is that the method you're looking for?

Tom
NutmegCT
Research Scientist

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:11 pm

NutmegCT wrote:Steve - you can do it by using the [img]image%20address[/img] tags (as long as the image has a url):

Is that the method you're looking for?

Tom

It's the effect I'm looking for, but what if the pic doesn't have a url? i.e. it's on my hard drive only. In other words I want to add an attachment in the middle of some text, not confined until the end.

Thanks,

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby NutmegCT » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:12 pm

Steve - far as I can tell, there's no way to manipulate pages that contain pictures you've actually uploaded, which is what you're looking to do.

Only way I've ever figured out at this forum is to upload your pictures to one of the free photo sharing sites, such as Photobucket.com . Once your pictures are there, each picture has a url to use.

I'd imagine the NBTA forum moderators could give you more specific answers.

Hope this is helpful.
Tom
NutmegCT
Research Scientist

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:00 am

Tom, yes, that was helpful, I guess that the writers of the software for these forums didn't consider fully what people might want to do.

It's a bit like having a TV program on how to construct a bridge, audio first followed later by the pictures. What goes with which? And who did what to whom?

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Panrock » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:00 am

As you know I run a board based on similar PHP-BB software at http://www.405-line.tv

AFAIK there is no way to do exactly what you want (although I haven't yet tried the latest version '3') The capacity to inlay images was always a 'bolt-on' feature on this freeware anyway (V-Bulletin has a neater system, but that costs £100).

If you have the time you can always find out what add-on features people have come up with at with a lengthy trawl at http://www.phpbb.com/support/.

Steve O
Panrock
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:03 am

Panrock wrote:..If you have the time you can always find out what add-on features people have come up with at with a lengthy trawl at http://www.phpbb.com/support/. Steve O

Thanks Steve, I'll fling the nets out tonight....

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby moderator » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:52 am

Solution: Not pretty but should work.

Let's allow each member to create a new thread buried in this forum, exclusively for holding pictures. In that thread the owner can post messages which are basically picture place-holders. Add the pictures as you normally do -- that is, as attachments. We don't expect people to look at or read these placeholder threads, it's just there to enable you to upload pictures for use elsewhere. So let's by convention standardise the thread name -- PICTURE PLACEHOLDER ONLY -- so that people know there's no meaningful content. Each person may create their own, or use the standard (shared) one.

Now, after you have uploaded a picture as an attachment in the 'picture holder' thread, view your message, and right-click on the image you want. Select 'properties' or whatever your browser has that is similar. You should see the actual URL of the image. Copy that URL, and use it inside the img tags as described earlier, in your REAL message wherever else in the forum you happen to want it to appear.

The process, then, would be to first upload all your images to the placeholder thread, note down the URLs of each, then go and create your actual message wherever it goes, using those URLs inline wherever you want them.

In this fashiion, you can use this forum as a sort of storage place. I'll start a sticky thread in this forum just for this purpose. Feel free to place your pictures in there and use the above technique.

Cheers
A
Site Admin

Return to Off Topic