New Drum monitor build

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:53 pm

AncientBrit wrote:Thanks Harry,

Graham

No worries Graham :o

Today i pulled the small drum out again had a look at what i could do improving the Diffuser.

So took the time for a few pictures before i wacked it back in for another test run.

So you can see what i was talking about last post.

I didn't have a spare milk bottle empty today :shock: so had you use some scrap and see what i could do with that added another diffuser over the luxeons see how that go's .

Also found the original glass for monitor screen so put that in before i loose it again !

Thinking about F. H. Haskell's Cylinder Scanning System with the slanted line of the large drum and straight reminds me of a sawtooth scanning waveform of a CRT.

I have not been able to find if he had a patent for this only got the NBTV newsletter information on it ...hes not a easy inventor to find any information on ...theres some patents via other people that are like he's idea but can't say i have ever come across more on this type of monitor .

Always wondering if Nick Hammond from the feb 1984 news letter 9 .3 ever made hes ? mmmmm
Attachments
Picture 418.jpg
Picture 418.jpg (301.88 KiB) Viewed 16182 times
Picture 419.jpg
Picture 419.jpg (301.19 KiB) Viewed 16182 times
Picture 427.jpg
Picture 427.jpg (269.7 KiB) Viewed 16182 times
Picture 430.jpg
Picture 430.jpg (305.01 KiB) Viewed 16182 times
Picture 432.jpg
Picture 432.jpg (267.95 KiB) Viewed 16182 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Metallica Man X » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:31 pm

I dunno how it'd work with those uber bright LEDs, but have you tried using layers of plastic bags?

I got quite a bit of success with my own televisor using a few layers of old plastic grocery bags lol.
I mostly lurk..don't be surprised when I actually post!
Metallica Man X
Master Craftsman

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:18 pm

Metallica Man X wrote:I dunno how it'd work with those uber bright LEDs, but have you tried using layers of plastic bags?

I got quite a bit of success with my own televisor using a few layers of old plastic grocery bags lol.

Yes the luxeons are blinding bright be pretty close to looking into a laser when these things are at at full brightness...so take care if you ever try them.

The diffuser i went with the cloudy plastic milk bottle type because it lasts and its not to thick and still bendable i could use scotch tape or as you say plastic bags but on the plastic bags ours are made to fall to bits in light ASAP so no good for me ....

Must be a lot of different ideas on diffusers out there best ideas are where the thing is free

:wink:
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:19 pm

Heres the 2nd i am editing .

May as well post my days experiments since i am here .

I have a feeling i am not getting passed or far past 750 rpm with the dc motor ,i with grab my other power supply tomorrow am crank that motor up a bit more and see .

I will post if i can get any good pictures out of it .
Last edited by Harry Dalek on Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:23 pm

Could not work out how to delete the mistake post....so i will try this was not going to post today but noticed the 3 same posts.

My internet was hanging when i tried to post so i must of retried a few times.
Last edited by Harry Dalek on Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Dalek

Postby Viewmaster » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:55 pm

harry dalek wrote:Must be a lot of different ideas on diffusers out there best ideas are where the thing is free
:wink:

Especially when they are in triplicate, Harry. :lol: :wink:
“One small step for a man,"......because he has Arthritis.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:33 am

Viewmaster wrote:Especially when they are in triplicate...

Yea, sometimes the server has it's 'off-days' and of course there's the wonderful 'net twixt you and it...it is in Hong Kong. Sometimes when you push the 'submit' button you just gotta be patient...

If it sits there doing nothing for more than say sixty seconds I log-out, re-log-in and see if the message actually did post, if not try again...don't forget to save all of your precious typing before you log-out in a simple text-file, otherwise you'll have to do it all again...you'll have to re-attach any pics, schematics etc...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Viewmaster » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:06 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:
Viewmaster wrote:Especially when they are in triplicate...

...don't forget to save all of your precious typing before you log-out in a simple text-file, otherwise you'll have to do it all again...you'll have to re-attach any pics, schematics etc...
Steve A.

O yes, and on my PC if I drop the mouse on the floor with a sharp knock I loose everything as well, sometimes the URL too and I'm back to the desktop ! Such are the marvels of the internet.
“One small step for a man,"......because he has Arthritis.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:00 pm

I did a bit today i replaced the large drum stepper with the dc that was friction driving the belt ,i needed to see if it was running to slow ..

I am sticking a video on here, at the moment this is the best it will do ...
It looks half the resolution to me counting the lines its over that but i don't think its 32 ...i have massive speed with the the pully and dc so i know i have no problems here .

I am thinking i am loosing picture as theres a bar towards the end i may have the line thickness and or width of the frame to small ...not sure something is up..
since i have the speed now i am going to test this out and drop the line slits or cover them up and see what effect that has ..i expect double the picture size and hope all the video fits this time .

So not great video its reversed as well i will worry about that once i improve it .
Attachments
Picture 510.avi
(4.75 MiB) Downloaded 782 times
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:21 pm

By now i would like to have said i have improved on the last posts video .

I will explain the problems i have found with the design.

I have been experimenting with different slanted slit numbers and such but results have been around the same either a slightly smaller or larger picture with the same problem...which i was not expecting since the Holtzmans design was so easy to control in manual .

I have found to view any thing correctly the control is very very tight performs better if the frame is slanted to the slant of the slit line ...which is a pain since you want want it straightened up .

Its interesting that this change in scanning angles can make such a change in it working as good.

I think i will have to just admit defeat on the slanted line idea as far as a improvement the CDM design ,the T scanning works much better ..it perhaps looks better and performs finer in the scanning idea but viewing video its no way as good and the last is what you want !

I think i will have to take out the small drum and replace it with the CDM idea and replace the slits in the large ....So back to another redesign
:roll:
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:01 am

Well i have now did a quick convert to the Holtzman T scanning system , its a lot easier in the display side of things .
Heres me playing around with it bit ruff again i will adjust the line slits more i think just wanted to see what a few would do on the large drum and if i could display any thing i think i am running it half the speed.
Attachments
Picture 613.avi
new redesign
(8.59 MiB) Downloaded 726 times
Picture 570.jpg
Picture 570.jpg (405.53 KiB) Viewed 15958 times
Picture 571.jpg
Picture 571.jpg (358.3 KiB) Viewed 15958 times
Picture 572.jpg
Picture 572.jpg (316.08 KiB) Viewed 15958 times
Picture 573.jpg
Picture 573.jpg (313.86 KiB) Viewed 15958 times
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:58 pm

I just did some speed tests the speed was well below the correct speed ,but thats bit to fast for my gadget ,it will do it but its a scary speed :shock:
So i will double the line slits and get it running at a nice safe speed 3000rpm is perhaps a bit much for this monitor !
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:25 pm

After doubling the line slits on my large drum thats got my drum into the control for the correct speed .

Even got it up to 48 line not sure what speed that was but never a dvd drum has gone as fast its dvds it housed.

So pretty happy with this so far the only problem is my home made small drum in not 100% round so as it rotates its causing a sign wave on any horizontal line so looks like i will have to redo that .

I'll post so pictures when i have time pretty happy with it now and don't have to touch that dvd drum and its slits any more .
Harry Dalek

Postby gary » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:28 pm

Congrats Harry, well done, look forward to seeing the pics.
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:10 pm

gary wrote:Congrats Harry, well done, look forward to seeing the pics.

Thanks Gary i will try a run tonight before i pull it to bits again to try and fix the signwave problem on the horizontal lines .

I think its a good thing to document before i hopefully fix it .

i will run it at 32 and at 48 line .

I have changed as you see the design a bit and have been working on keeping vibration down .
Attachments
Picture 627.jpg
Picture 627.jpg (322.22 KiB) Viewed 15891 times
Picture 628.jpg
Picture 628.jpg (319.78 KiB) Viewed 15891 times
Harry Dalek

PreviousNext

Return to Mechanical NBTV