[Hot News] Novelty Item

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

[Hot News] Novelty Item

Postby moderator » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:21 am

Novelty Item
Baird Kit

A rotating disc with a spiral of holes that demonstrates the principle behind the very first television invented by John Logie Baird in the 1920's. Displays a couple of short animation sequences. Click on picture for more details of kit
Site Admin

Re: [Hot News] Novelty Item

Postby Erwin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:28 am

Hai,

Is there also an arduino program for this Nipkow object
I'm search for an arduino program for such a project
Can somebody help me please

Kind Regards

erwin.meyvaert@telenet.be
Erwin
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Postby Andrew Davie » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:46 am

Erwin wrote:Hai,

Is there also an arduino program for this Nipkow object
I'm search for an arduino program for such a project
Can somebody help me please

Kind Regards

erwin.meyvaert@telenet.be

I have been working for some time on an Arduino Nipkow project - see the following...

Construction Diary for Arduino Televisor and in particular this thread
and the latest Arduino source is at... GitHub Arduino Televisor Source Code

However, if you are looking for source code for that particular device shown in the image, I can't help.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Mini Mechanical television

Postby Erwin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:47 am

Hai,

It's been a while since I've done something with NBTV, so this question
Give someone an arduino program for a nbtv television receiver
Very basic if it can , be something like madlab Mr Bairds (I bought 2 pieces for many years ) , I would like to expand this with more images, I would like to use an ATtiny85 than I have 8Kb memory
Can somebody help me please with the programma

kind regards
Erwin

Postby Klaas Robers » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:56 pm

I have seen this project explained. The disc has very few holes, I think 16 or 12. Another point is that the angular spacing of the holes is variable. This gives a rectangular picture, but in the signal the lines have an increasing length. That implies that this Nipkow variant is incompatible with everything in the world. As far as I know there is no other video content for it than the walking / running little red man without any grey values.

It looks as if this is made on purpose incompatible with all existing Nipkow systems.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Erwin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:34 pm

Hai,

You are absolutely right, thank you for being able to respond to my call
But that's what I want, I want to make multiple drawings so you have a small little movie, which can easily
The code is also on the website but this is in my mind, and because I know little about ASM and little of Arduino, I can not write a program that does the same
Therefore, I would like to know someone who can do this

Kind regards
Erwin

Re: Mini Mechanical television

Postby Andrew Davie » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:37 pm

It's been a while since I've done something with NBTV, so this question
Give someone an arduino program for a nbtv television receiver
Very basic if it can , be something like madlab Mr Bairds (I bought 2 pieces for many years ) , I would like to expand this with more images, I would like to use an ATtiny85 than I have 8Kb memory
Can somebody help me please with the programma

kind regards

I'm can give you some tips. The frame data is stored starting where you see 'table frames'
Here's the basic part...

Code: Select all
          table frames

frame     macro addr
          entry low addr
          entry high addr
          endm

frame run1                    ; frame #1
          frame run2 ;#2 .. etc... add as many frames as you want

; and then define each frame like this...

run1      frame_begin
          line b'0000000000'
          line b'0000000000'
          line b'0000011000'
          line b'0000011000'
          line b'0000000000'
          line b'0011110000'
          line b'0010111010'
          line b'0010110100'
          line b'0000110000'
          line b'0001111100'
          line b'0001000100'
          line b'0111000100'
          line b'1000000011'
          line b'0000000000'
          line b'1111111111'
          frame_end

;add 'run2' shape and all the other frame shapes defined in the first part.

; where you see 1 in the above, it's an ON pixel, and where you see 0 it's an OFF pixel.
; looks to me like each frame is 8 pixels wide and 15 lines high.

The code uses tight cycle-counted assembly code to get the timing right. In other words, much of it you cannot change. Fortunately I don't think you'd need to play with any of that. Just redefine the frame pointer table and the frame data as described above. The table consists of 32 "pointers" to frame data for each animation. The first 32 pointers give you animation #1, and the next 32 pointers give you animation #2. These are hardwired lengths - 32 'frames' although many are repeated. Animation #2 assumes the first frame is #32, so it's all very hardwired. OK in that it does what it's designed to do - but it's not 'general purpose' or easy to change beyond what I lited above. Seems you could add as many frames as you have memory available, provided you use exactly 32 in each animation. Somewhere in that code will be a frame # variable telling it which frame to display. Looks like it's hardwired to just two animations based on a pushbutton on/off, so although you'd have many frames (up to 64 max) you'd still only have the two animations selectable. One starts at 0, the other at 32. You'd need to change the code if you want more than two, or each animation having anything other than 32 frames. And then it becomes kind of difficult because you're getting into code (rather than data) changes.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Erwin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:11 pm

Hai,

Therefore, I would like the program in arduino so that I can, for example, let the switch away , than I get more space to place multiple drawings
The program is okay it does what I want but only the program language is wrong for me
When connecting the battery, you must wait a few seconds for the image on place , and then the image is quite stable
Also, I can get a pure image to make the CD on my 3D printer so that the holes can overlap beautifully
Practically everything is okay, just programma Hi

Kind regards
Erwin

Postby Andrew Davie » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:12 am

Therefore, I would like the program in arduino so that I can, for example, let the switch away , than I get more space to place multiple drawings
The program is okay it does what I want but only the program language is wrong for me
When connecting the battery, you must wait a few seconds for the image on place , and then the image is quite stable
Also, I can get a pure image to make the CD on my 3D printer so that the holes can overlap beautifully
Practically everything is okay, just programma Hi

Kind regards

You are probably going to have to do this yourself. Maybe if you contact the original author of the code (his name is in the comments) he might be interested, but I doubt it. What you're asking for is for the hard part to be done by someone else. That "someone else" is certainly not going to be me! The forum is a great place to get advice on HOW to do things, but generally you need to make some effort to actually DO those things yourself. Your first step would be learning how to compile/assemble the source code as it is, and uploading the result to your micro-controller... and that will keep you busy for a while, but a skill very worthwhile investing in.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Erwin » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:01 am

Hai,

I've already thought that I have to solve myself, so I've been browsing the web for some programs that I can paste together or something like that.
These are the little things that take a long time
I will have to pick up a slant, slowly but surely, but surley slowly

In any case, thanks for answering my question

Kind Regards
Erwin

Postby Andrew Davie » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:22 pm

I've already thought that I have to solve myself, so I've been browsing the web for some programs that I can paste together or something like that.
These are the little things that take a long time
I will have to pick up a slant, slowly but surely, but surley slowly

In any case, thanks for answering my question

Kind Regards

It is clear from my examination of the source code that it is written in assembler because it is time-critical. The code is cycle-counted and there is a tight relationship between the disk spinning and the code modifying the LED values. You will not be able to find other programs that you can paste together to achieve this closely coupled functionality. In my opinion, your only real option is to modify the existing source code - which means that you need to be able to compile/assemble what's there now and upload it to the micro-controller. Then you can go from that point and make changes and see what happens. That's my advice to you.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Return to Mechanical NBTV