PAL colour test slides

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

PAL colour test slides

Postby Klaas Robers » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:48 am

In the beginning days of PAL colour television, about 1970, the daily TV transmissions started with the RETMA testcard and then about 10 colour slides showing women, flowers and fruits. I think the slides were distributed by the EBU.

Does someone have these slides available? We could use them (part of them) in a new NBTVA testdisc with CCNC test sequences.

After a few years the slides were replaced by the well known colour test pictures from the Philips generator PM....?

I should have the slides saved, long ago, from the Philips Nat.Lab. television studio, but can't find them back...
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby AncientBrit » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:32 am

Hi Klaas,

Can't help with the slides but I can remember them as well.

The PAL Test Gen? Maybe PM5544,

Cheers

Graham
AncientBrit
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby Klaas Robers » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:37 am

Graham,

yes, PM 5544 may be the number, but I am looking for the EBU colour slides. I have already searched the web, but I can't find them.

Hopefully someone else haves them or finds them on the web.

Klaas
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Klaas Robers » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:45 am

I found them back after 30 years. The new avatar at the left is one of them, for me the most charateristic one. I have more of them for future use, they were 15 numbered colour slides of still remarkably good colour rendering.

The strange thing is that I remembered the cupboard where they should be, but they were hidden behind lots of other suff, so I couldn't just pick them up, but had to remove almost everything before I did see them again.

Several of them will be used in the new colour NBTVA CD, although they will be 3:2 (portrait) in stead of 2:3 (landscape). So left and right parts are cut off. You will see this in the new Newsletter.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby DrZarkov » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:51 pm

That sounds very exciting. I hope the new newsletter will arrive soon. :)
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Return to Off Topic