Baird televisor Cabinet size

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Baird televisor Cabinet size

Postby oldtubestuff » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:24 pm

Hi
Greetings to the forum
I’m new on this forum but I have for a while been thinking about building a Baird televisor. I have mostly been working on early post war televisions but always found the mechanical sets fascinating. I have relatively good skills in shaping metal do to years of car restores and so on so I think I should be able to make the cabinet in sheet metal like the original televisor. Anyhow I have an idea about the proximately size of the cabinet but I would like to know exactly. If anybody have and would share these measurements I would be truly grateful :)
oldtubestuff
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Re: Baird televisor Cabinet size

Postby Lowtone » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:32 am

r a d i o P T T v i s i o n
Lowtone
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby McGee2021 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:53 am

Are you good with CAD design software? if so, i have created a highly accurate televisor case model, complete with detachable covers for the neon and the terminal board.
housing.png
housing.png (53 KiB) Viewed 11359 times
I have also made a high detail model of the original neon for the televisor, but instead of being filled with neon and electrodes, it has an LED array inside of it. I would be happy to send you my models.
Fun times, ain't it?
McGee2021

Postby oldtubestuff » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:30 pm

Hi
THANKS Guys
This was most helpful. From looking at pictures I figured it had to be approximately 30” wide. I’m happy I didn’t start building a giant size televisor. This information was most helpful. Du to many projects this must be a project for the coming winter right after I’m finish restoring my last mirror lid television or so and a couple of cars. Anyhow it's gone take months/year just to collect authentic parts for a project like this so no hurry. There are also many other details I’m gonna need like motor size diameter/length engine mount lens box where to get the lenses/giant resistor potentiometer and so on. I also thinking about making the receiver and hide inside a raspberry pi/Arduino or similar. I was playing a little with autocad years ago, but I’m no expert but if you have any cad design files I'LL be happy to have a copy. I can always download the software. THANKS again :)
oldtubestuff

Postby McGee2021 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:30 pm

oldtubestuff wrote:where to get the lenses/giant resistor potentiometer and so on. I was playing a little with autocad years ago, but I’m no expert but if you have any cad design files I'LL be happy to have a copy. I can always download the software. THANKS again :)

Lenses will be extremely hard to find. I have been looking for about 3 years now through old optical equipment, and have found nothing close to what i need. The Zenite tapped wire wound resistor will be very close to impossible to find, with the right resistances. i also have the model for the framing mechanism, the lens box, the variable resistance holder, the bulb, and once i make another trip to the early television museum, ill probably spend a few hours taking measurements of the motor holder and the motor, since they are the most complex parts to design, unless you make a mold of them. When i go back, im also planning to see if Steve will let me make a mold of the face plate. Anyway, what type of cad files do you prefer? PM me and ill gladly email my whole set of parts. One thing to note, most of the files have been adapted for 3D printing, so the lens box walls are a bit thicker than originally, and the framing mechanism doesnt have any teeth to rotate it. They are meant to be machined, and bolted on.
Fun times, ain't it?
McGee2021

Postby Andrew Davie » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:40 pm

McGee2021 wrote:PM me and ill gladly email my whole set of parts. One thing to note, most of the files have been adapted for 3D printing, so the lens box walls are a bit thicker than originally, and the framing mechanism doesnt have any teeth to rotate it. They are meant to be machined, and bolted on.

These files are very welcome on the forum, too - if you want to host them here, just upload them!
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby oldtubestuff » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:20 am

Hi
I did find some lenses that possible could be used. I’m gonna leave some links and let me know what you guys think. To find a motor that look authentic is probable near to impossible. I think the best option is to do some machining and dress up a modern motor like a 12v blower motor or similar. I think the resistor only gonna be a display part so the value shouldn’t Matter if it looks authentic. I think the easiest gone be to just to hide the modern electronic inside the receiver cabinet. Now that we have so many option in RGB led it should also be possible to display color just as a nice option and to display an orange picture like the neon bulb would do as well as a simple B&W picture. There are many possibilities. I think my focus gone be to build something that look as close to the original as possible but try to use modern parts that are reliable and easy to find for coming generations

Lenses
1 x 6 inch/152mm diameter single/plano convex focal lengths 11.5 in/292 mm

https://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/opt ... #downloads

1x 4 inch/100mm diameter double convex with focal lengths of 17 in/432 mm

https://www.edmundoptics.eu/optics/opti ... #downloads

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100mm-O ... fdf812328d
Attachments
Mercedes 190E blower motor.jpg
Mercedes 190E blower motor.jpg (16.19 KiB) Viewed 11326 times
oldtubestuff

Return to Mechanical NBTV