45 line televisor

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

45 line televisor

Postby kd6cji » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:54 am

I've got a 45 line triple interlaced club disk and started the project past weekend. I decided to go with synchronous motor (1800 rpm @ 60Hz) and 2:1 timing belt reduction drive. As for the LED driver, the plan is to build a one tube driver using 117N7GT tube and 30 orange LEDS in series. I've seen the mentioning of tube driver here on the discussion board, but could not find any details. Did anyone built one? If so, can you share the design? Thanks!
Attachments
45line1.jpg
45line2.jpg
45line3.jpg
kd6cji
Research Scientist

Re: 45 line televisor

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:50 pm

A tube/valve (UK-speak) LED driver is on my long list of "Things To Do"...this may give me the impetus to do something about it...

Can I ask why you chose this particular tube? Perhaps you have a few already? There are others that are better suited to be honest.

These 117-volt tubes were introduced to eliminate the cost/size/weight of a power transformer - but that potentially (excuse the pun) is dangerous - even on the lower 117V supply compared to most other countries. The heaters in these tubes are very fragile due to the very thin heater wire required to get the correct resistance, power and temperature.

The only way to make this safe would be to use an isolation transformer (117V to 117V) and ground any exposed metalwork as well as the circuits. In which case you may as well get a conventional tube radio power transformer...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby kd6cji » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:20 am

Well, this is the reason to use it. No power transformer. I have a few of those valves in my junk box too. I am going to use polarized 3 prong power plug, so all metal parts will be grounded which sort of reduces a little risk of electrocution. Plate current and power should be enough to drive string of 30 LEDs. As I am using synchronous motor, there is no sync pulses and therefore no DC restoration, so a simple audio amplifier circuit should work. A year or so ago, I built a regenerative receiver with 117N7GT as audio amplifier and 12K7 as a detector tube, also I used this tube in a QRP 40m CW transmitter... and still alive ... :shock:
kd6cji
Research Scientist

Postby Andrew Davie » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:44 pm

This project sounds dangerous and potentially lethal.
You may feel competent working with this, but I must think of others reading and perhaps following in your footsteps.
The formal policy of this forum is
a) don't do anything for which you do not have skills/training
b) anything you do decide to do is of course totally at your own risk
As to this project; please heed the advice and find a safer way.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby smeezekitty » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:10 am

I've seen quite a few 117V tubes with blown filaments. I don't see why you want to avoid a power transformer. A transformer to run 1-2 filamentous isn't all that big.
smeezekitty
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby kd6cji » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:16 am

The main danger of not using an isolation or power transformer is the possibility of the reverse connection to mains when neutral wire is feeding the plates and hot wire is on the chassis, then there is a potential to be shocked by touching the chassis. With the polarized plug the danger is minimized, furthermore I am going to put a neon indicator lamp between the neutral wire and ground, in case the wall power socket is wired incorrectly the lamp will light up as a warning. I used this technique before. As for power transformer it is not a filament transformer that is the problem, there are plenty 6V transformers available, but rather HV transformer. At the end I may forego the tube approach and go with transistors, but want to try tube first. Also, I am not advocating this approach and not encouraging anyone to try it.
kd6cji
Research Scientist

Postby Robonz » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:43 pm

I love your project, and very keen to see you get this going. I used to pull apart my parents TV when I was 13 years old I did it when they were not home so I would not get in trouble. Sometimes it took me a long time to fiddle all the potentiometers back in place and I would get a little nervous. But it was fun to me. So long as you are aware of the dangers and are careful I am sure you will do well.

I really like that you have chosen to do a tube based driver rather than a silicon version. It will add a lot of authenticity to your project. I have a bunch of valves here but I am too lazy to use them. I enjoy the mechanical challenge myself.

I look forward to your next update.
Robonz
Evil Genius

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:53 pm

I have decided to withdraw from this thread due to my safety concerns regarding other members/readers who may desire to follow this example.

To those I strongly suggest you DO NOT.

One day I may get around to doing a valve/tube-driven LED array for NBTV, but be certain it will include a transformer to remove the risks involved in direct non-isolated wall-socket power supplies.

The OP may still be alive, others may not be so lucky or experienced.

Steve A.

I'm sorry kd6cji but I cannot endorse this in any shape or form and distance myself from it entirely.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:35 pm

I would go with a transformer if any thing if it ends up in some ones hands in the future more than likely some one interested in tinkering with it and they are not careful its best you save their life and go with a transformer.
i like to build small as a can but i know i need that safe as possible power supply size weight and all.
Yours would be no bigger with a transformer...
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby kd6cji » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:37 am

The project took a different approach. Since I obtained crater neon lamps and large regular neon lamp, I did some testing with them. I used 32 line bead disk with crater lamp and regular 32 line disk with neon. Made a 2 tube amplifier using 6AC7 and 6AG7 tubes to drive either of the lamp. As neon lamp has a smaller glowing area than the image I had to use a magnifying glass between the lamp and disk. Both versions worked fine, although picture is much brighter with bead disk and crater lamp, but crater lamp is argon-neon mixture so the tint of the picture is king of light brown rather than orange. I am planning to rebuild a driver using 6C6 and type 42 tubes, as metal tubes does not look old enough for me. Then I will need to decide which will be a final build crater or neon... And yes, I used transformers in the power supply.
kd6cji
Research Scientist

Postby kd6cji » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:23 pm

IMG_2417.m4v
Video from neon lamp version
(4.34 MiB) Downloaded 799 times
Here are some pictures and short video clip. Everything is poor quality :oops:
Attachments
IMG_2419.jpg
Neon lamp and lens
IMG_2421.jpg
2 tube amplifier/driver
IMG_2423.jpg
Driver from other side
IMG_2427.jpg
Crater neon-argon lamp
kd6cji
Research Scientist

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:50 pm

Hi KD for short !
Good to see the results so far looks good me ,i would be happy .
i would enclose the lamp area and reflect the light to the disk ,but nice results it played brighter on VLC player for me ,i had another player and it did seem dim so swapped to that .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Klaas Robers » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:06 am

Brown is not a light colour. Brown is dark red or dark orange. You cannot think of a lamp that gives a bright beam of brown light. But it is normal that Nipkow discs give very dim pictures. It should be that without the spinning disc, the amount of light from the light box is so huge that your eyes cannot have it. And then still the picture is a dim picture that you can only watch in a more or less darkened room.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby gary » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:32 pm

Klaas Robers wrote:Brown is not a light colour. Brown is dark red or dark orange. You cannot think of a lamp that gives a bright beam of brown light. But it is normal that Nipkow discs give very dim pictures. It should be that without the spinning disc, the amount of light from the light box is so huge that your eyes cannot have it. And then still the picture is a dim picture that you can only watch in a more or less darkened room.

Yes, but be aware that in this case he is using a bead disk so the light source requirement is considerably reduced (although for a disk of this size I would have thought 1/4" (6.35mm) would have been a better choice.

I find a single high brightness 5mm white LED more than adequate for daylight viewing using 3/16" (4.75mm) optical quality acrylic balls (beads) in a 9" disk.

Having said that staring into a high brightness LED is no fun ;-).
gary

Postby FlyMario » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:23 am

Did you ever mention how big that Disk is that you are going to be spinning around 900rpm? Impressive though I wonder how it being shiny might mess up the results. That motor is cool!

Peter J. Fischel
Peter J. Fischel
Mechanical TV Fan, Programmer and Tinkerer.
FlyMario
Mad Scientist

Next

Return to Mechanical NBTV