Phonogram images on paper

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

Phonogram images on paper

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:53 pm

Absolutely fascinating !

youtu.be/TESkh3hX5oM
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: Phonogram images on paper

Postby Lowtone » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:12 pm

This is called Phonautographe, invented by Édouard-Léon Scott de Martinville. The purpose was to make a kind of oscilloscope to visually analyse the sounds. It was never intended for audio playback.
The sound was recovered in 2008 ( ? ) by computer engeeners.
Those are the earliest audio recordings ever.
r a d i o P T T v i s i o n
Lowtone
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Re: Phonogram images on paper

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:01 pm

I found all the experiments very interesting yes a lot of the recordings were more intended for visual only play back if you call that play back by the eye !
So all the experiments can now be heard as in how good or bad was the recording some thing the people that did them would never know.
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Return to Off Topic